How To Style The Bardot Top

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASat at the bar of The Old Shep pub in Chorley Wood on a hot Summer evening, the hottest guy in school turned to me and told me I had great shoulders. It was a rambled, fumbled compliment that has stuck with me ever since. The thing is, I’m usually the kind of person who gets so flustered when paid a compliment that I forget the moment ever took place. But this was unexpected and startling, taking me completely off guard that I remember the moment vividly. I remember what I was wearing and how my jumper had slightly dropped off my right shoulder, the slim line Gin and tonic in my hand and the warm breeze which smelt of Summer. Perhaps this explains why every year I am drawn to evert bardot top on offer that at ever check out, online or off, I have to have a word with myself before paying “Do you really need another, Lydia?”, “In what way is this style different to the hundred others?” it is often futile but at least I recognise the behaviour pattern.

Therefore, with my wardrobe fit to burst with yet more bardot tops I wanted to put together a few styling tips for how I feed my favourite top into my current wardrobe.

I’ve mentioned time and time again how my style shifts in the warmer months to a much more feminine style and my biggest influence in this comes from the Luxury Parisian Fashion house, Chloe, and whilst I own a couple of handbags and shoes from the Designer. The clothing tends to be a little out of my justifiable price range which is where the high street really is my first port of call. I look for cotton like fabrics and broderie anglais detailing as found on this incredibly cute and affordable option from Boohoo that I am currently wearing to death.

The skin on your shoulders is your best accessory so take care of it, pamper it and bare it with pride. I exfoliate using an exfoliating mit every morning and tend to apply my tanning oil rather than moisturiser. This actually keeps my skin so nicely hydrated whilst providing a healthy bronzed glow which pops next to the top. Sometimes I like to dust a little of my favourite highlighter on to my collar bones and shoulders to make them extra radiant.

You can see my tanning routine here.

I always like to dress down the femininity a little with a good pair of distressed denim and thankfully thanks to denim trends currently you don’t have to go cutting up your favourite pair just yet. I got this pair from the denim brand, Paige and they are a girls best friend. Giving even the most non curvaceous of us, a little extra help in the booty department. But aside from all the help and form fitting, they are also out of this world comfortable. Money well spent I’d say.

Boots are not the first thought when shopping for Summer, but for me they are always high up on my list of priorities. As much as I enjoy the freedom of Sandals, boots are far more representative of my Summer style than anything else. Due to the changable weather of the Cotswolds, I had to opt for a pair of wellies on this occasion, but usually my style of choice is low slung ankle boots with studs and details to really add contrast.

How do you style your bardot tops? Let me know in the comments below.

Photography by Ali Gordon with the Olympus Pen E-PL7 & 75mm Lens.

1. Ashley 23rd May 2016 / 7:31 am

I used to hate showing off my shoulder area, but now I’ve begun to embrace because why not?! Plus, they make you look amazing by 1000x. I love styling bardot tops with shorts or anything really! They’re so versatile. x

2. CarmenGuillen 23rd May 2016 / 7:44 am

3. Majean 23rd May 2016 / 7:56 am

I love Bardot style tops. They’re sexy yet cute! I would style mine with denim shorts if hot enough. Or with an a-line skirt. Lovely blouse and you do have great shoulders

4. Adele 23rd May 2016 / 9:41 am

I too have good shoulders (or so I’m told!) so like you have a closet full of bardot tops & dresses. I love the detail on your top & have lots of similar ones. In the summer I adore pairing white bardot tops with white denim or denim cut offs & gold tan suede & gold jewellery. Looks gorgeous with a tan!

5. Amy 23rd May 2016 / 4:22 pm

These pictures are absolutely beautiful! The bardot style suits you perfectly and you do have very nice shoulders haha! I always wear more feminine styles like this with jeans as I find it balances it out a bit and makes it a bit less girly!
    Amy xx

6. Sharon 23rd May 2016 / 11:34 pm

Great tips. Thanks

7. Brandie Hodges 23rd May 2016 / 11:54 pm

These tops are so girly! I like how you can easily look so casual but super cute at the same time.

8. Miki 24th May 2016 / 1:21 am

Cute top! You look great, Lydia!
    I don’t usually wear boots in the winter, but I’d happily swap them for pumps or open toe heels.

9. Jenn Vida 24th May 2016 / 5:46 am

Beautiful pictures and a beautiful top!

I think it’s super interesting that you prefer to opt for boots in the summer! Hope to see more looks styled with those 🙂

10. Leanne 24th May 2016 / 7:40 am

I love these kinds of tops. I have two at the moment and I was about to order a bunch more. They’re so beautiful and yet so simple. I love pairing mine with either jeans or short shorts for a chic but effortless look.

Love from South Africa

Arum Lilea

11. Camilla Bysted 25th May 2016 / 8:36 am

I LOVE posts like this! The top is amazing!

Millie x

12. CashmereRaccoon 26th May 2016 / 1:11 pm

I love this top on you, Lydia! Looking gorgeous!
    And I absolutely adore those tops, however, I don’t think it will suit me, as I am quite heavy on my top half. And I will just have to keep wearing simple white shirts 🙂

13. El 31st May 2016 / 3:49 pm

I do love the bardot tops, it looks great on you too.
    I tend to style it with Jeans mainly or even skirts.

14. Adaleta Avdic 31st May 2016 / 4:30 pm

Absolutely stunning photography, I wish Olympus had discounts here in the states but alas the discount codes from you and Victoria didn’t work for me 🙁 I absolutely love these tops as they’re so chic and girly, yet comfy and can also be quite casual. Gorgeous! xx

15. Jennifer Green 31st May 2016 / 7:46 pm

The top and boots looks really pretty, I love it. A shoulder compliment sure seems odd at first, but well… 🙂

– Jennifer

16. Sammie 2nd June 2016 / 2:27 am

Hi Lydia, Which lens with your Olympus pen are you using here?
    Would love to know! thanks!

17. Laura 8th June 2016 / 10:50 pm

I adore bardot tops. I would love some more in my wardrobe. xx

18. Georgina 9th June 2016 / 7:04 am

I’ve never worn a Bardot top before but your ASOS haul video and this post might have convinced me to try! Thanks for the summer wardrobe inspiration x