Be The Best Version of Yourself

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAs someone who is fiercely ambitious and independent it can sometimes lead to being quite hard on myself. But over the years I’ve learnt to embrace who I am in all my imperfectness to ensure that I am always moving, working and evolving towards being the very best version of myself.

I’m fairly lucky in the respect that I’ve never really idolised those in the public eye, not celebrities, singers or bloggers and have only looked up to those close to me. I mean, as if you hadn’t already realised by how often I talk with pride and admiration about my Brother, Grandma and Dad. They are and always have been my driving force but that doesn’t mean I’ve never experienced the feeling of not being good enough plague and cloud my motivation to succeed. Quite the contrary. It took a few years to realise how I managed to silence those negative voices and channel who I am to ensure I am always on the right track for where I want to end up.

Silence Negative Voices

Whether they are in your head, on your social media feed or stood right in front of you, negative voices are all around us. They aim to fill your head with self doubt and discourage you from your goals. I’ve encountered this kind of negativity in all walks of life and I’ve learned to see straight through to the insecurity within. After-all people will only try to bring you down if you are above them.

Say No Often

Funnily enough, people pleasing rarely pleases everyone and that is never more evident in blogging. Standing up for and asserting yourself will do wonders for your confidence, especially in your own abilities therefore, catapulting yourself forward into being the very best version of yourself. Knowing who you are and how to vocalise that, even if it doesn’t please those in question really is liberating and good for your stress levels too.

Embracing Imperfections

Atelophobia is a word that has been used to describe me many times in my life time. The fear of not being perfect. It took me a long time to be able to accept my imperfections but when I did I realised was, those very aspects of me were what made me exactly that perfect. The perfect version of my-unique-self. So when I talk out of the side of my mouth or how one of my ears is slightly pointier than the other I now know that they are a part of what make me who I am.

Feel Failure

Failure is a good thing. Without failure you wouldn’t know what success really is, so although it may be tough and hard to swallow, you will look back one day and realise how many negative situations turned out to have a positive impact on your self and who you become. From leaving school at 16 and then dropping out of collage I really did feel like the biggest failure but fast forward 4 years there I was collecting my degree after realising I never wanted to experience that sense of under achieving again and, funnily enough I’ve been an over achiever ever since.

Failure moulds you into a strong and ambitious individual.

Aspire carefully

Aspiring to be the best version of yourself doesn’t mean you won’t feel inspired by others as I mentioned above. But it’s important to choose your inspirers carefully and not just base them on their follower count or the latest trend. Even I find it uncomfortable when readers refer to me as their inspiration as I certainly don’t feel deserving of the title but it reminds me and drives me on even further in continuing to be the best version of myself.

1. Rae 11th January 2016 / 7:56 am

Inspiring post. I agree about the people pleasing! Stunning images too!

2. Kaja 11th January 2016 / 8:48 am

Inspiring post! And you look stunning in the pictures! xx

3. sammie 11th January 2016 / 9:10 am

Failure plays such a big part on the road to success,even if most people are afraid of failing.
    Personally I think that one should learn to embrace these moments as well and learn from them.
    Your gym outfit is super nice by the way,love that crop top

4. Jessie 11th January 2016 / 9:16 am

I love the outfit you’re wearing in this post – you look amazing! I definitely feel like saying no is important and I definitely fear about being imperfect. It’s so important to embrace those imperfections! xx

Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

5. Jayla 11th January 2016 / 11:24 am

Lydia, you inspire me each and everyday. Your strong and beautiful character
    you project to believe you can do anything is amazing.
    Credit goes to you for the reform in my life lovely xx

6. Adele 11th January 2016 / 1:07 pm

Such a motivational post Lydia. After growing up with the huge pressure my parents put on me, I became ill. I’m now at a stage where I know that failure is ok, embrace it, learn from it & move on. I love the sweaty betty gear you’re wearing.

7. Marshalee 11th January 2016 / 1:18 pm

Thank you for this great post once again.
    I am always striving to be my best self. I realize the journey never ends. This post helped me to realize I have to keep going!
    Thank you Lydia.

8. Lucy 11th January 2016 / 10:55 pm

You look smoking’ in these images, Lydia! I was expecting the tips to be fitness related but I love that they’re general life tips, very refreshing. Accepting and fighting through failure is so important. You’ll get nowhere if you don’t fail first!

She’s So Lucy

9. Gabriella 12th January 2016 / 2:51 am

Lydia, you are truly one of the most inspiring people I’ve ever come across. You’ve inspired me to love myself, accept failure, and that everything will be okay in the end. Because of you, you’ve helped me gain the confidence to start my own blog Thank you and keep up the amazing work!

10. Robyn Taylor 12th January 2016 / 3:52 pm

I always love these posts of yours so much – one thing I really need to do is embrace imperfections, I always put myself down but really we’re just human! The photos are fab too, love your sportswear!

Robyn / Phases Of Robyn

11. Laura 12th January 2016 / 5:37 pm

This is such a lovely and inspiring post! You’re what people on the internet would call “goals!” hah x

12. Jessica 14th January 2016 / 4:32 am

I follow and read a lot of bloggers and am myself a blogger. Just want to let you know that you inspire so many people because of how truly genuine you are. You don’t push products that are garbage. (I bought the Olympus Tough after seeing your post about it and it is honestly the best waterproof camera I have ever used.) And transparency is a common theme throughout your posts. You admitted to having your skin retouched! How many other bloggers would do that? How many other bloggers are purposely doing that to give the appearance of perfection?

Keep doing what you’re doing!

13. Laura Jamie 14th January 2016 / 9:28 am

LOVE this post Lydia, so honest and inspiring! ????????

14. PsychicKathleen 16th January 2016 / 4:54 pm

I too love your post Lydia! Brilliant, inspiring and uplifting on so many levels. I’m 61 years old and nothing warms my heart more than to read how young women are speaking to each other about self acceptance, self forgiveness and keeping a positive sense of personal agency. Hats off to you for being one of those young women! 🙂

15. Ayla 20th January 2016 / 9:46 am

Love this post, you are such a genuine and inspiring person! ???? I’m a perfectionist too, so that I work and push myself so hard that I get sick like every two weeks. How did you learn to deal with wanting to be perfect? I would love a blogpost about this in detail! ????

16. Ayla 20th January 2016 / 9:47 am