Being an Unprofessional Health & Fitness Blogger

1 Walking out of the gym on a Friday snuggled into my Gymshark Tracksuit (from their current collection which launched TO-DAY by the way!) has a similar sensation to walking in on a Monday. I am finished for the week and I’m excited for two days off, I stuck to the diet (mostly) and hit my weekly quota for workouts so the weekend is just for me. Where as by the time Monday rolls around I’m itching to get back to the weights.

I used to feel immense pressure when I first introduced Heath & Fitness to because I wasn’t a professional, all I was doing was sharing my little tips and tricks as I went on my merry way to a healthier existence. But my lack of professionalism is now something I value immensely because like everyone sometimes I fall of the wagon, sometimes I make mistakes and sometimes I eat things that I know will make me unwell. I’m not married to the squat rack and sometimes I’ll just take a week off, because you know sometimes I just need a break.

“I feel like we do this together, like friends but a whole army of us!”

Because I’m a young professional (currently sat in front of her laptop at 2am) I simply can’t get to the gym every day like the PT’s and competitors out there. I can’t assess your running technique and I’m certainly not about to start coaching you online but I can ensure we take this journey together and learn a little a long the way. Even if it’s just something simple as the latest leggings you need in your workout wardrobe or simply how I get up in the morning ready to work out. I no longer have the pleasure and motivation of a gym buddy, so whenever I’m feeling Bleh about hitting the gym, I think of you guys. I feel like we do this together, like friends but a whole army of us!

Shop The Post

Tracksuit Top – Gymshark     Tracksuit Bottoms – Gymshark     Bag – Alexander Wang    Trainers – Nike

1. DANI NEEDHAM 30th October 2015 / 8:36 am

Hi Lydia, this post was such a great read! I’m an unprofessional too, and although I’m a personal trainer in training, I do sometimes wonder if my unqualified opinions and advice have any merit. Of course they do! I love that you have celebrated your unprofessionalism and normalism, thank you for sharing your inspiration!! I shall go forth and revel in my next Bleh day, remembering that there are so many people like me experiencing the same! Dani x

• lydia 1st November 2015 / 10:47 pm

Thanks so much Dani and good luck with your training, an unprofessional now but not long until a professional!! 🙂 x

• lydia 1st November 2015 / 10:48 pm

It’s very bloomin’ comfortable!!!

2. Lauren 30th October 2015 / 9:08 am

I would love to be as motivated as you are. I need to somehow get in to fitness as I don’t really exercise at all. I will always say I will do it ‘tomorrow’ or ‘next week’

Lauren x |

• lydia 1st November 2015 / 10:49 pm

Haha we all have those days! but I try to remind myself that I want to live in “the now!” x

3. Tess Alexandra 30th October 2015 / 9:25 am

Hey Lydia,

I personally find it much easier relate to girls who aren’t “professionals”. Whilst it’s great to read what people that do health and fitness for a living say, I know that exercising daily and never eating sugar is not the most realistic and balanced path for me to take. Girls doing their best to lead a healthy lifestyle, but aren’t always perfect, are a lot more inspiring for me.

There’s room for professionals and “every-day” people alike in the health and fitness sphere, I think. I had a binge of your health and fitness posts the other day and I really got a lot of useful tips to implement into my lifestyle from them. Please keep sharing your journey!

Tess Alexandra

• lydia 1st November 2015 / 10:52 pm

Ohhh Tess, this made me so happy! I’m so glad you enjoyed them 🙂 x

4. Adele 30th October 2015 / 10:37 am

What i think is great Lydia, is that you represent everyone of us out there, trying to live our lives staying fit & healthy, whether it’s in the gym, in the pool or the yoga studio. Love the gear!

• lydia 5th November 2015 / 8:54 am

Thanks so much Adele 🙂 x

5. Merel 30th October 2015 / 6:48 pm

Ahw, such a cute and inspiring post. I think you even motivate people more than a professional can do, because after al, it’s a professional’s profession, no wonder he/she will do better than I do. But in your case, there’s absolutely no reason why I can’t do what you do, which makes me kick my own ass to the gym haha! Keep up the good work!

6. Dani Mendocha | Styled Variety 31st October 2015 / 12:15 am

I really enjoyed this post! I love reading your health and fitness blogs because it feels like talking to a friend who’s going through a relatable fitness journey. That’s what I love about the “unprofessional” health/fitness blogging community – everyone is in it together as they learn new things, struggle sometimes, motivate one another, and overcome challenges! 🙂

Dani |

7. Elle @ keep it simpelle 31st October 2015 / 9:26 am

Great post – honest. However, I’m a professional and I don’t feel any differently to what you have described here. I blog honestly about that; I took an unplanned break recently and gained a little unwanted weight so now I’m working on that.

I think sometimes we only see the best parts of everyone on social media and assume that everyone else finds it easier to get up everyday and workout (some do of course but not everyone!)

So thanks for sharing. But I see my professional self in this and I see every unprofessional person in myself too!

8. Leah 31st October 2015 / 10:55 am

I saw the title of this yesturday and saved it to read today – as it was a hetic day and I am so glad I did. Such a sweet post, really lovley! I can totally relate to that feeling of immense pressure. I think your fitness post’s are great. As I have imbarked on my own journey to gaining weight, and somtimes need some fitness inspiration or healthy pick me up’s – I come and visit your lovley collection of blog post’s, which I alway’s find helpful. The fact that your a normal human and not always’s 100% perfect or trying to be, as it’s not possible – is what make’s it great. I usually leave feeling inspired & much better. Have a nice weekend 🙂
    Leah x

9. Amanda 3rd November 2015 / 4:53 am

This is my first time commenting, but I got to say your posts always inspire me. I think for the exact reasons that you wrote about in this post that I am scared to start my own blog(About adventures and rock climbing though ;)). I admire your work and effort to inform us on health and little tidbits here and there. They have enriched my life so much!

I have been using the Ritual app everyday for short meditation sessions and has helped my stress a ton! So please keep writing on this, I am glad that you are humble and real with us, but I am glad you do not stop!

10. Heather 4th November 2015 / 10:40 pm

I really love this post, it inspires me. Whenever I add something to my blog, I always hesitate because I’m not a professional stylist, I’m not a nutritionist, and I’m certainly not a personal trainer, so reading this post really gave me some extra courage. I am enjoying your blog!

11. Taylor 9th November 2015 / 9:13 am

I feel like looking the part is an essential part of working out too, you have to like what you’re wearing because it gives you a boost of motivation. I do a bootcamp, have lost a heap of body fat but can only make it to 2 sessions this week (I like to make 3+), I’ve been eating like shit lately and have gained some fat back (I didn’t realise how easy it was to do) so that’s my motivation to work out at home right now. In fact, I’m going to go work out right now!

12. SCARLET 26th July 2016 / 6:07 pm

Great post! It’s relatable and motivating!