The Fearful Traveller

3_g 3_h

What is the end of a manic week for most, is really just the beginning for me. After spending half of the week either standing or hanging above the roof tops of London, as you read this I will be sat in the back of a car on my way to the airport. It all sounds so glamorous blogging these days. We jet here, there and everywhere, experiencing the very best of what our destination has to offer.

But as I mentioned recently, the reality for me is very different. Somewhere in my years growing up I became afraid, afraid or what lay beyond my normality. My little bubble that I called life is warm and cosy and I feel safe there. But more and more often I am away from that safety, I’m walking the streets of London on my own, I’m boarding a flight to somewhere hot or I’m in a boat in the middle of the bloody sea. For me this is frightening. I love where I go, I love the sights, smells and experiences of every destination, You all know how I long to be close to the sea as often as possible. But with every breaking news story, I become more afraid.

For someone who prides them selves on their strength, independence and abilities, to find yourself shaking uncontrollably due to a little turbulence or crying hysterically in the cable car down the side of Santorini is a hard pill to swallow. Even getting in the lift to climb the 20 floors it took to reach this stunning location over looking the breath taking London skyline left me with a dry mouth.

I wish I knew how to be braver.

This post was shot on the Olympus PEN E-PL7 & the 45mm lens.

Shop The Post

Watch – Vector   Sunglasses – Sendoptics

1. Bea 14th August 2015 / 7:50 am

I’m the same Lydia. Booked 3 weeks in Thailand for my birthday and I honestly do not know how I will step on the plane, Last time I flew it was only to Paris and I cried the entire time. Have you found anything that eases it? Don’t feel like you are the only one, it’s so awful when you can see everyone around you happy and relaxed and you can’t turn your brain off 🙁 take care xx

2. Deepti @ Endless Postcards 14th August 2015 / 8:40 am

I find that it gets better with time, for the most part. You are brave, even if it does make you nervous to get on a lift in a skyscraper. You’re brave for putting yourself out there! I hope you feel better soon.

3. Merel 14th August 2015 / 9:08 am

Love how honest you are babe! Being a blogger sounds all crazy perfect and glamorous (actually just like being a model, for example) but in the end it’s just a job with its frightening and not-so-much-fun sides as well. I’m also a real “huismus” (as we would say in Dutch, a house sparrow, literally translated haha!) and if I don’t challenge myself, I’ll be sitting here at home in my PJ’s all day. Even going to another city to visit friends is a big deal for me. Not because I’m scared, but because it stresses me out: getting ready at home, leaving on time, catching the right train, etc. Pffft. Haha! Ahh well, I guess we all have our struggles. I think you’re doing an amazing job as a blogger though!

4. Mantenso 14th August 2015 / 9:54 am

I love posts like these. It’s very easy for people on the outside to perceive blogging as glamorous and fun all the time, butr as with everything there are always negatives that come with positives. I think you are brave because you continue to face the source of your fear and by writing such an honest post.
    Mantenso xx
    She’s AbouThat Life

5. Adele 14th August 2015 / 10:24 am

I sympathise with you Lydia as I suffer with anxiety, though not flying. I find my yoga breathing helps & also a guided mediatation you can listen to on your ipod.
    Love your whole look & the Celine’s are gorgeous!
    What lipstick are you wearing? I love it.

6. Yianna 14th August 2015 / 10:48 am

I know exactly how you feel. Every time I hop on an airplane I feel even more frightened than the last time.And even if I know turbulence is normal, I’m shaking every time. I even got my doctor to give me xanax (which did nothing to me)
    That said this isn’t going to stop me from travelling. We need to find ways to cope with it. Don’t forget that our brains are designed to go into Emergency mode every time you get out of your comfort zone.
    I hope someday we can all find ways to control our anxiety. xx

7. Chloe 14th August 2015 / 11:41 am

You just become more and more likeable when you post things like this because you’re so relateable. I feel exactly the same way with anxiety and travelling makes it so much worse, but I’ve decided like you that I need to do things that push me because that’s when you feel most alive and therefore I’m planning on moving to Australia for a year on my own when I finish uni. I know that I’ll be scared to death but I know that it’ll be so worth it. Thank you so much for these blog posts because they really make me feel like I’m not on my own when it comes to being scared of these things. You’re a real beauty inside and out. (Ps. I LOVE this outfit!) Xx

8. Kathleen 14th August 2015 / 12:06 pm

At least you’re not bored, with facing your fears only makes you stronger so you should still be priding yourself on that! Plus you look gorgeous!!

Made In The 1990’s.

9. nueyork 14th August 2015 / 1:12 pm

I am the exact same way. I have been brimming with this confidence to plan out an exchange trip and live abroad for four months, leaving my loved ones behind and getting out of my comfort zone completely. However, the prospect of getting on that plane next week is what is terrifying me most about the whole thing, which is insane! It is something to work on, of course, but it is hard to know where to even begin.

10. Cori 14th August 2015 / 3:01 pm

Totally understand the travel anxiety. I’ve had it since I was about 9-10 years old after the terrorist attack in the US and have never really thought about traveling the same. I think the thing that always gets me through is the thrill of travel itself and knowing that I get to experience a new place, new people, and new energy in little-to-no time.

Love the outfit — You are making me sligthly braver to try heels and denim shorts. LOVE those shoes!

11. Christine 14th August 2015 / 3:17 pm

Fear is a normal feeling. I keeps us from doing stupid things. Getting on a plane most people have fear. Going someplace new is fearful. Going alone is fearful. In that you are normal. What isn’t normal is having that fear prevent you from doing these things. If it ever gets that bad you need to seek treatment for it. Emotions can have a devastating effect on your life. If you need help getting on a plane or going somewhere doctors can prescribe a low dose tranquilizer for you to take. It won’t alter your mood, but calm your symptoms to make you more comfortable. Taking something isn’t a cop out. It’s smart. You won’t miss any of your life. I lost 3 years of my life to anxiety. My family and everyone else told me it was a “character flaw.” I was never afraid, but I felt fear. Finally, I had to go on medication. I only wish I had done it sooner. If you have health problems see a doctor. There’s no shame. Anxiety is as much a physical as a mental condition. If you just have fear but can still function try many of the tips suggested by others to distract yourself and practice before you go. I wish you the best! Don’t stop living, you will regret it later. Time has a way of moving forward and past thing. Opportunities don’t always come around again. I speak from experience. I hope all goes well for you.

12. Marshalee McIntosh Jin 14th August 2015 / 4:58 pm

Amazing! I love the way you write your post! The clothes is beautiful. It nice to see when bloggers are honest.

13. emma 14th August 2015 / 8:08 pm

You look amazing Lydia! I totally agree too, i used to be afraid of leaving my little bubble. It’s not passed and i hope you feel more confident about exploring the world soon

Emma at

14. jennifer 14th August 2015 / 9:31 pm

I can really relate to this post as I used to suffer with travel anxiety. The most important thing to remember is that you still continue to travel and broaden your horizons with this anxiety, rather than let it control your life, and that is something to be proud of. I used to dread flying, from the moment I booked the flight, but that didn’t stop me from flying to Australia and other long haul destinations. I would recommend NLP therapy as I have found that really helpful & has really improved things for me.

15. Nina 14th August 2015 / 10:07 pm

Lydia, thank you so much for this honest post. Indeed, following other bloggers, it all sounds so glamorous and amazing and it seems that they are all happy with the life on the plain etc. I love your blog because you are so REAL, which makes you such a beautifully person inside and out. I could feel every word you wrote. From the beginning until the end.
    I was really panicking in the past when I had to get on the plane. But after a while, it got better. At one point of time I thought, well if it is my destiny, it will happen anywhere. I would not say, I enjoy flying today (even little shaking scares me) but it is acceptable. Enjoy Montenegro (which was part of the country where I was born 🙂

16. Bella 15th August 2015 / 12:29 am

I am not a fan of flying, but thankfully I don’t have to do it much. I totally adore those shoes! Wonderful photos, worth it!

xoxoBella |

17. Annabel 16th August 2015 / 11:07 pm

Loved this post, and I think getting older does have a lot to do with stepping outside your comfort zones. Gorgeous jacket as well!

Annabel ?
    Mascara & Maltesers

18. Simplyphoebex 24th August 2015 / 8:07 pm

I don’t really read a lots blogs , instead I normally follow them on Instagram but I’m glad I read this post because for someone like me who gets very bad anxiety when flying it makes me feel even more bad when I constantly see celebrity and blogger acting like like every one loves flying, It just makes people feel like its normal to be anxious sorry for the rant.Really good post .