Wearing make-up to the gym – The Truth & Products you should be using!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI take an obscene amount of pre, during and post workout selfies without mentioning all the snapchats in between. If it’s been a busy day of shooting and filming I’ll hit the gym with a full face of make up like a boss, much to many of you’s horror. But if it’s an early morning workout that I’m hitting, I tend to go au naturel. But is it really all that bad going with a full face. I’ve done both before and after acne treatment and not really seen much difference so I decided to dig a little deeper.

Not only does your make up tend to slide right off your face once sweating commences which isn’t ever the look we are going to. It can get into the eyes causing irritation. Also your body is detoxifying when you sweat, secreting all of the toxins which build up inside us. so ideally you don’t want to clog your pores with make up when this is happening.

Your skin needs to be able to breath during workouts as your pores actually open up and relax somewhat. This means your complexion remains bright healthy and glowing free of blackheads.

However, that is all well and good but some of us simply don’t want to hit the gym bare faced and that is ABSOLUTELY FINE, no one should ever be ridiculed for wanting to feel comfortable and if wearing make up to the gym achieves that for you then you do it! All is not lost as there are many products available on the market that may be a good alternative;

Mineral Powders

Personally, I think this is the reason I’ve not experienced any difficulties when wearing make up to the gym. Bare Minerals make-up is actually recommended by dermatologists (including my own) when undergoing treatment for acne because the particules are too large to clog your pores so providing you gently but thoughrally cleanse post workout this really could be the full coverage answer to your prayers.

Sport Creams & Tinted moisturisers

These are for those days when you feel you might need just a little helping hand and if you find a good one, some can even be good for your skin whilst also providing a very thin layer of comfort whilst in the gym.

The Sport Active cream from QMS Medicosmetics was a sample I was given to try when I had a facial there a few months ago and I’ve been meaning to buy more as I absolutely love it. It’s light and feels like you’ve only applied a moisturiser yet comes packed with SPF and skin glowing vitamines to keep your skin as fit as you are.

Another fave at the moment is from my old favourite bare minerals. Their new release is the Complexion Rescue gel which I continuously reach for in the mornings whether it’s heading to the gym, popping to the shops or just a day in my comfies this cream is amazing. It’s packed full of antioxidants, magnesium and calcium whilst also boasting factor 30spf. This cream/gel is also made from mineral make up meaning it doesn’t sink into pores and also ensures skin is hydrated and protected whether you are heading outside to workout or hitting the gym.

Shop The Post

1. Molly 6th May 2015 / 7:26 am

Fab post Lydia! I bought the bareMinerals Complexion Rescue specifically for the gym so good to know you’d recommend it too!

2. Lindsay 6th May 2015 / 12:40 pm

I go in full make up but that’s because I go mid-day on my lunch breaks. It’s never caused me any issues other than the odd bit of eyeliner smudge or mascara. Nothing catastrophic and I’m always sweating like a beast.

Great post topic! 🙂

3. chiara 6th May 2015 / 2:45 pm

Hey! Great post 🙂

It’s hard for us girls…most of us wear makeup daily so why shouldn’t we at the gym? Especially when you start to make friends there, and for those single girls out there, there are potential guys to meet! Personally, I just go for a more natural look. Bit of powder mineral foundation and mascara, that’s it but it makes the difference for me!

You go girls!

4. Lily 6th May 2015 / 6:14 pm

When will you post a YouTube video

5. Lily 6th May 2015 / 7:42 pm

You’re such a skin care queen! & knowing your battles with acne make me trust every product you rave about before I’ve even tried it!

Lily xx

6. Emma 6th May 2015 / 8:14 pm

Love this post! I have recently joined a gym and braved it bare face, however I did notice a lot of ladies wearing makeup. I think it completely depends on you as a person but I am defo going to try the sports cream, it sounds amazing.

Written with style | Bloglovin

7. Ella 6th May 2015 / 10:11 pm

I think it should be more acceptable to wear make up to the gym if it makes you feel more confident. I think false lashes are a bit too far though! I love the bare minerals complexion rescue and have been using it every day recently.

Ella xx

8. abbyseasmus 8th May 2015 / 2:59 pm

Make up at the gym? Really? I think you’re missing the point of the gym. Sure if you are wearing it already but should we really go out and buy specific make-up just to wear in the gym?

• lydia 8th May 2015 / 10:31 pm

I didn’t realise the point of a gym was not to wear make up, I always thought it was a place I went to work out. Who knew!

9. Gemma blake 12th May 2015 / 8:54 pm

I had a massive rant about this the other day, simply because I don’t think it’s a big deals.

You’re in a place where you’re pushing yourself to new limited, and publicly displaying you’re vulnerabilities You might just simply lack confidence (with is the reason you’re in the gym in the first place) and if you need a bit of make-up to boost your confidence to push yourself further, I personally think more power to you! 🙂

Pale Aesthetic Blog

10. Sarah 20th June 2015 / 8:58 pm

Hi Lydia,
    Great post – ive just stumbled across your blog on Instagram and I love it.
    Have you written anything about the brushes at all in the original image ? Xx