Meditation & Me.

It’s amazing how responsibility creeps up on you. It seems like only yesterday I was day drinking before lectures at Northampton University, sleeping in until half past whenever the hell I want and spending my entire student loan on Mulberry handbags, posh bottles of wine and an apartment most people with full time jobs couldn’t afford. Truth be told it was only 2 years ago. But here I am earning a wage, paying a mortgage and cohabiting with someone who doesn’t require a separate shelf in the fridge.
Nothing has ever shaken me quite like the realisation that I now have responsibilities, like if I don’t pay something be it a bill or a direct debit it actually matters. Not like at university where you knew a relative somewhere would pick up the bill, all in the name of education. I reached a point where I couldn’t sleep, and when I say couldn’t I mean it became a physical inability. My eyes would not close and stay closed, the natural lull right before you sleep never came and my mind raced and raced no matter how many sheep I counted. My heart would pound out of my chest and an over baring sense of panic would ensue, I heard panic attacks could last a few hours but these bad boys lasted days. Sometimes it felt like I was just living with the panic which might I add, is not living at all.
Quite a few friends suggested I tried meditation, in fact it was rather an alarming number of them. Which memo did I miss that explained this was no longer just for hippies? After digging a little deeper I soon realised that everyone was at it, from celebrities to Supermodels even my PT was doing it.
I was apprehensive but pushing a week without sleep I was willing to try anything. I found some great apps on the iTunes store to guide me through the process and ease me into it, my favorite being “Take a Break” and “iSleep Easy” which gives you a selection of different types of meditation, even a walking meditation (who knew?).
Meditation has so many benefits such as improved sleep and anxiety, stress and depression reduction, improved creativity and even supports weight-loss. With a list like that I was excited to give it a go so I dusted off my Yoga matt, lit my favourite Neom Candle and tuned the iPhone app in to the Bose speaker.
Twenty minutes later I was hooked and have now introduced anything as little as a 10 minute meditation into my day wherever possible. It wasn’t a quick fix for my sleep and anxiety issues but it is all part of the bigger process, learning to relax your thoughts, let go of the things that scare and worry you and bring an all over sense of peace to your life.
Sometimes your mind has a funny way of letting you know that now is the perfect time to take better care.
If you have any tips of questions let me know in a comment below!

Body Science Leggings – c/o Active In Style      Body Science sports bra – c/o Active In Style    Nike Free OG – c/o FootAsylum     Vest – Primark

1. Rebecca 17th July 2014 / 10:29 am

Thank you for this post. It is exactly what I need. I’ve just started a new job and the pressure on me is so immense I find I’m thinking of my work at 2am unable to sleep. This has led to me developing eczema and becoming a very stressed and worried person.
    I’ve been looking for something to help so this couldn’t have come at a better time. I’ll definitely be giving meditation a go. Thank you x

• lydia 17th July 2014 / 11:52 am

Hi Rebecca,
      Believe me I understand where you are coming from. Whatever you do don’t suffer in silence, even if it’s talking to co-workers or your GP it’s amazing how well you realise you are doing at things when you hear it from someone else. Stay positive and let me know how you get on with the meditation (Ps buy a lavendar calendar or burning oil) 😉

2. Donna 17th July 2014 / 10:42 am

Great post Lydia, Meditation is great, It has helped me a lot with my anxiety, also Love your outfit 🙂

• lydia 17th July 2014 / 11:55 am

Hi Donna, I’m so glad it’s helping you too as its really helped me!

3. Lauren Gillies 17th July 2014 / 3:40 pm

Love posts on this kind of thing, I think it’s so important to create awareness of meditation and any sort of stress reduction technique. Love your blog x x

You might like my post on positive thinking

• lydia 17th July 2014 / 3:57 pm

Oh wow Lauren I love it! I’m a big believer in taking control of the things you can control like YOUR life, YOUR thoughts and YOUR happiness! <3

4. sarah 17th July 2014 / 3:47 pm

Hi Lydia,
    Thank you for the post. Think I may have to give the meditation a go. I don’t sleep well at all. I’m either thinking of work, money, and sometimes even the little things that actually don’t matter. Maybe this could help me! X

• lydia 17th July 2014 / 3:54 pm

Hi Sarah,
      Oh wow I know that feeling all too well. Especially when we bought the house, it was like a bomb went off. I’m 26 now and I don’t have parents that can bail me out if something this big goes wrong. its been so scary but slowly you learn to cope 🙂

5. amelia 17th July 2014 / 7:21 pm

Looks so nice where you are! You are too pretty, you look amazing in your work out clothes!!

6. mel 18th July 2014 / 9:37 am

Hi Lydia!
    This post has come at such a great time for me. I found out earlier this week that I have failed my second year of university (after struggling all year with anxiety and having little support/ not knowing where to go or who to turn to). As soon as I found out, I could feel the anxiety returning and I lost all the happy feeling I had inside me if that makes sense. Now I am turning to meditation, I think it could really help.
    Thanks for a great blog post. Also, do you have an advice with uni and not achieving as well as you hoped, and how you progress to be better?

7. Chiara 18th July 2014 / 6:39 pm

Hi Lydia!

I recently started following you and I’m very interested in your stories. I might try mediation again, I found it a bit weird at first…people saying things slowly…over and over I couldn’t help but laugh. I just need to learn to let go and relax!

Glad it’s working for you and will check out your recommendations.

I absolutely love that outfit you’re wearing. I went on the link, saw the price and got a little depressed!! Maybe in the sale 😉

Looking forward to your next post!

8. lYDIA'S DAD 18th July 2014 / 7:43 pm

second that emotion ! – having declared my interest in this (see name) just wanna point out she does have parents! 🙂 just temporarily (>) a bit strapped…… quite by chance I’ve also been searching for and practicing a bit of meditation myself until recently – REAL simple, focusing on the breath, 5 minutes twice a day, also dr dad recommends listening to your youtube favorite playlists in the office during the day n sometimes the night, maybe some giles peterson or annie mac and keep the trials of life at bay. this girl may be onto something, meditation over medication whenever possible. i’m gonna have to keep an eye on this and maybe i’ll stay on the rails too. ps hope i haven’t committed some sort of internet crime/blog murder with this haha forgive the old fa*t

• lydia 21st July 2014 / 10:07 am

Hi Dad,
      You are a legend. Tuning in to some Annie Mac as we speak…I’ve been listening to Whale music for the last few weeks so this will be a welcomed change <3

9. Charlotte 19th July 2014 / 12:23 pm

Great post! I’ve also had an alarming number of people telling me to start meditating because I ‘live on my nerves’ and need to calm them. I’ve always put it off though, only doing the odd 5 minutes every few weeks, as I could never really see the point of it, but after your experience and the benefits your having I’ll definitely have to try harder to do so more regularly!

10. Robin 21st July 2014 / 9:07 am

Hey Lydia,

I’m definitely gonna try this thing out! Even though I have my summer break now, my life is usually pretty busy. I need to save money for school, because I’m a university student. ut I don’t get financial aid from family and I’d rather not borrow. So I usually spend around 30 hours at my school a week, 2,5 hours of traveling a day, 12 hours of work a week, and I try to fit in exercise and to relax while I still have to study for school at home.

I’ve spent a lot of nights awake, just like you, and I don’t want to fall into that habit again when school starts in a month. So I’m definitely gonna give it a go!

11. Jess 23rd July 2014 / 8:44 am

That’s an amazing outfit, love how the sports bra and leggings match.

I need to try meditation. I’m the same in that responsibility just hits you and it can be a little scary. I also have a mortgage and am cohabiting with someone. I’m self-employed too, which means that if I don’t work hard or if something goes wrong, there’s no back up. It’s scary and money always worries me, even when I have loads of it.

12. mirela 24th July 2014 / 10:22 am

Hello lydia

I am from germany and please sorry for my bad english.
    I would like to now how much do you weight (kg) and height ? Your body is amazing i love it , you are my biggest inspiration
    I hope you will answer my question

13. Megan-Elizabeth 25th July 2014 / 5:02 am

I’ve definitely found that light yoga and a sleep balm for the temples has seriously improved my sleep! x

14. Kaitlyn warke 28th July 2014 / 1:52 am

Definitely going to give this a go because I need something to help with anxiety and stress. Thanks for the tip Lydia.

15. Catherine 28th October 2014 / 5:08 pm

This sounds amazing, definitely going to give those apps a go! Always looking for ways to unwind and relax xx