My Favourite Abs Work Out

Hoodie – C/O PhD Woman    Sports bra – Sports Direct    Boy shorts – Primark

I’m retaining a lot of water at the moment #girlprobs so my abs are looking the softest I’ve seen for a long time, However I wanted to share my favourite abs workout with you as I get asked this quite a lot. It’s a little circuit my trainer get me and my gym partner to do and it’s a real killer.
Russian Twists with 8kg Kettlebell x 20
Leg raises x 20*
Plank x 1min
Then rest for 60 seconds and repeat for 3 sets.
I’d been planking since I started working out back in February and it wasn’t until I started training with Paul that I realised I had in fact been doing it completely wrong and wasting my energy entirely.
When planking you need to push your hips forward and engage your abs, it almost feels like your back is arching upwards slightly but it should never bow down towards the mat…which is exactly what I had spent 6 months doing, good job Lydia good job *face palm*.
This circuit is added into my Abs day once a week to really feel the burn at the end of my session, the first time I did it I thought I was dying but now Paul is slowly sneaking in weighted sandbags on my back which is probably the best feeling ever.
*Normal Leg raises on the mat with your hands and arms flat by your side raise legs and at the highest point push up onto your shoulder blades, curl your spine back down the mat and slowly lower legs towards the mat but not all the way down, that’s cheating haha!
If you’re giving this a go, let me know how you get on 🙂

1. Natasha Fisher 3rd October 2013 / 12:14 pm

This is a great way to work your abs! I always struggled to get my form correct but now I do crossfit you have to make sure you engage your whole body.

I like to do V Sits 10 with your legs in front of you and 10 each side.

2. Chelsea Jade 3rd October 2013 / 1:58 pm

So pleased you posted this, I’m always wondering about your ab work out when I see your instagram photos. I will have to try this out 🙂 x

3. Naghmeh 3rd October 2013 / 2:20 pm

oh I’ve been doing this for about a year now and my gosh at first I felt like I was dying by the end of each work out! but I love these together, give such a good burn and you really feel your core strengthening over time!

4. Lucinda's Closet 3rd October 2013 / 4:06 pm

Hey! I’m also a huge gym bunny, my boyfriend is a Personal Trainer so it’s basically how we met. I found my abs were almost getting too strong for our workouts, 200 crunches, russian twists on 8kg and V Ups later and I wasn’t feeling a thing… he suggested using the Decline Bench with a weight plate held above your head. As you lower yourself down keep the plate parallel to your face, imagine it’s a tray of drinks you can’t spill! Then pop up as strongly as you can and meet the plate above your head again. To start, 5×5 sets with 5kg was killer and I could hardly laugh or move for the next 3 days thanks to DOMS. Now I’m doing 5×10 on 10kg and seeing the best results I’ve ever seen.

Just something maybe you’d like if you tried working it into your routine! The DOMS are beyond belief haha… Good job 🙂

Luci x

5. Emmy 4th October 2013 / 8:27 pm

Deffo trying this. You look inredible! X

6. Hannah Bee 10th October 2013 / 4:50 pm

sounds like a killer abs set, it’s so hard to get the perfect plank until someone looks over it with you- even with the help of a mirror! xo

hannah bee

7. ALEXUS 23rd May 2014 / 3:36 pm

Your favorite workout abs workout is also my favorite and hopefully I am very pleased by getting a chance to read about it. thanks for letting us know.