MY EXPERIENCE WITH AT HOME DERMA ROLLING & WHY I’M GIVING BOTOX A MISS

Blogpost1-14

Blogpost1-3

Blogpost1-5

Blogpost1-6

Blogpost1-2

This post is sponsored by Swiss Clinic.

At the end of February I received a package from Swiss Clinic, containing a 0.2 Derma Roller, their Rejuvenating Serum and a bottle of Sanitising spray. When it first arrived it sat in my "new in beauty basket" for a couple of weeks but I began to see more and more girls talking about the subject of Derma Rolling and began to read into it a little further.

I started off using the 0.2ml Roller and was absolutely fine with it, I started feeling a difference in my skin after a few days into my two cycle using the product. So much so that after the first weeks use, I missed how my skin felt in the morning following Derma rolling the night before. I decided to read up on the subject further and found a lot of information surrounding the 0.5ml Roller and how it was much more effective.

I then introduced the new, harsher 0.5ml roller into my routine at the beginning of April. Initially it was quite tough, its definitely more painful than the 0.2ml but I knew that would be the case. My skin would go even more red than before but the soothing effects of the Rejuvenating serum was exactly what I needed post rolling.

When I started mentioning that I was using a Derma Roller I was shocked by the response, so many of you wanted to know more so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to partner with Swiss Clinic to tell you more about what Derma Rolling is, what to expect and talk about my experience with it.

Blogpost1-9

Blogpost1-7

Blogpost1-10

Does it hurt?

If I'm perfectly honest the 0.2ml roller really didn't hurt, you could feel a slight prick but nothing uncomfortable. However, I realised after doing further research that the 0.5ml would hurt more because it is penetrating into the skin to allow more product absorption and to promote the skins production of Collagen which naturally occurs when the skin experiences damage, in order to repair.

How often do you use it?

For me personally, I use it as regularly as I feel necessary. In the beginning I was using it for one week straight and then taking a week off for my skin to rest and rejuvenate. Now I use it whenever I feel my skin is in need of a pick me up or in the run up to an important event, to ensure my skin is looking its best and combined with my favourite products, the treatment leaves my skin looking incredible, radiant and plump.

What Products do you use with the Derma Roller?

I have mostly been using the Swiss Clinic Rejuvenating Serum, Eye Cream and Night Cream because these products are specifically fortified for the treatment. The Rejuvenating serum honestly is like a hug for your skin following the treatment and the Eye Cream has actually become one of my favourites to use at night even when I am not Derma Rolling because I find it really hydrating for my delicate eye area. The Night Cream is thick and luxurious which makes for soft supple skin when I wake up the next day. But sometimes I will use other products such as the Kiehls Midnight Recovery oil or the Sarah Chapman Overnight Facial as the derma roller allows products to absorb even deeper than normal and it's nice to change it up every now and again whilst experiencing the effects that the Derma Roller has on the effectiveness of my favourite products.

Blogpost1-11

Blogpost1-1

Blogpost1-13

Is it safe to use at home?

It is important to be firm but not apply too much pressure when using the Derma Roller as you don't want to hurt yourself. The treatment should not be unbearable. It's also very important to effectively sanitise your Roller after every use to prevent infection. The tiny needles are piercing the surface of your skin so you don't want bacteria getting in there. Swiss Clinic do produce their own sanitising spray but for the sake of safety I am sure this can be purchased from your local chemist as I do find that they can run out quite quickly.

What results have you seen?

This is something that will differ from person to person so I can only speak from my own experience but I am seeing a noticeable difference in the lines on my forehead to the point where at 29 I am choosing the put off going down the Botox route for a little longer to see how my skin continues using the Swiss Clinic treatment.

I have always spoken about my "large pores" openly on my blog and Youtube, and it's something I become more and more conscious of over the years. I have started focusing more on the pores on my cheek areas and I feel like the condition has improved ever so slightly so I'm going to continue working those problem areas in the hope that I can dodge the botox needles just a little longer.

Have you tried Derma Rolling? What has your experience been like? Is it something you are interested in? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

Photography by Ali Gordon

Editing by Reece Chapman

Blogpost1-12

22 Comments

1. Saumya Snehal 3rd May 2017 / 5:23 pm

Hey Lydia, this sounds amazing but also a bit scary, Thank you for sharing your experience with us.!!!!!

2. Liena Snow 3rd May 2017 / 6:06 pm

I have read about derma rolling and seen a lot of girls talking about it as well. It sounds like a great product would be amazing to try out.
    Thank you so much for your review and sharing your experience.
    Much love xx

3. Rachael Dickinson 3rd May 2017 / 7:11 pm

I am so glad you have reviews this. I have been thinking about derma rolling for a little while. At 26 (almost 27) I think I definitely need to start doing something. The lines on my forehead are in good company now and I would rather they be lonely!

Rachael xox

4. fannyanddailybeauty 3rd May 2017 / 7:15 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience and being so honest about the results on your skin. I don’t believe in any skincare creams or serums which claim to reduce the size of pores, but it makes sense to me that the derma rolling has a small impact on them! Lovely post 🙂

5. Zoe 3rd May 2017 / 8:24 pm

Hi Lydia

What a lovely read. I have been wanting to try Derma Rolling for a while now after seeing it on Payton Sartain’s blog. I never took the plunge but having just watched your YT video explaining the whole process in much more detail I am ready to purchase, however I am slightly confused to what size needle to go for now as I was going to for the 0.2 to start off with but after reading this post where you state that the 0.5 is more effective I am not sure whether to take the plunge and go straight in with the 0.5? Help!

Zoe Alexandra

• Lauren 4th May 2017 / 11:00 pm

I’m in exactly the same position! You’ve convinced me that Deena Rolling is definitely something I want to try, but I’ve never done it before so was planning on using the 0.2 but if the 0.5 is more effective should I just go straight in for that? Help!

• Stephanie Canham 4th May 2017 / 11:21 pm

Hi Zoe. I just got the 0.5mm from Swiss clinics and am on my 3rd night of use. It’s a little stingy if I’m honest, a bit like mild sunburn, but nothing too unbearable and the redness is gone by morning x

6. Mel | mediamarmalade.com 3rd May 2017 / 8:51 pm

Fab post Lydia. I’ve been hearing a lot about Derma Rolling and it sounds really effective. I’m super close to getting Botox now (the wrinkles on my forehead are actual cravases) but this looks really interesting so definitely intrgurued to see how it could work

Mel x

mediamarmalade.com

7. Adele 4th May 2017 / 10:01 am

So glad you wrote this post Lydia as it contains a lot more information about the process than I felt your video conveyed.

8. Diana 4th May 2017 / 1:40 pm

I’ve been contemplating derma rolling for a while now. I’m not sure why I haven’t tried it out yet- I’m sure the results will be fantastic. Thanks for the information and tips!!

9. Stephanie Canham 4th May 2017 / 11:31 pm

Hi Lydia
    Fab post. I’ve been wanting to get a home skin roller for a while and was just about to purchase a 0.3mm from somewhere else (they didn’t do any higher) and then saw you talking about swiss clinics on Twitter and that you were trying the 0.5 so that’s what I ordered. I’m on my 3rd evening and it’s going well, although I’ve had collgen PIN at a clinic where the go deeper and you bleed a lot, so knew I’d tolerate a home one! It’s a little stingy isn’t but not unbearable. As an older blogger, I think I have more areas that need attention so I’m looking forward to seeing some results and I’ll be reporting my findings in a post. I didn’t order the serum as I already had a growth factor serum at home but think I will need some at some point so your discount code is fab!!
    Steph

10. Romy 5th May 2017 / 7:43 am

I love that you made a post AND a video on this. Your video really made me want to try this (and I just love it when you do blog posts, hehe).

xo Romy

11. amanda 13th May 2017 / 9:56 am

Hey Lydia,
    thanks for sharing your experience, i was very curious about the whole derma rolling theme, also watched your video about it.
    Now you got me, and i gonna try it also and see how it turns out 🙂

– love Amanda

12. Deasy 17th May 2017 / 5:37 am

I’d like to think that I’m currently not in the age of wrinkles, but I know eventually they will come. But I never thought of botox as even an option. Derma rolling seems like a great alternative though :B

13. Esther 17th May 2017 / 12:46 pm

Hi Lydia,
    I have heard so much good about the derma roller that I really need to give it a try now.
    Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Love, Esther

14. Haily 21st May 2017 / 6:01 am

Hi Lydia!

Love your post! I live in the United States and the Swiss Clinic rollers are available here yet. Are there any other ones you have tried that are able to be purchased in the United States? Wish I would get my hands on the Swiss Clinic one. Amazing post as always! You’re such an inspiration!

Haily