5 Random Life Lessons I Learnt This Summer

7 20

Just when I think I’ve got it all figured out life throws these little life lessons disguised as curve balls, to throw you off course a little, may be test your resilience some more and possibly push your self belief to the limit.

At my age its nice to think there is little left to learn but it is that exact mentality which leaves you somewhat like a sitting duck.

“life throws these little life lessons disguised as curve balls”

So if you want to be a little less “sitting duck” and a little more “I got this!” then keep on reading for more of life’s little lessons which I learnt this summer.

4 8

Trust is something you don’t dish out for free. Trust is earned like a trophy and that shit does NOT come easy. If someone wants your trust they will earn it and if they are just out for a slice of your peacan pie I’m quietly confident they never will. 23

You cannot tell someone to trust you and expect them to do so, you show someone you are trust worthy first and foremost. I say this as someone who has spent the last god knows how long listening to those who TOLD me to trust them, rather than those who showed me I could and this Summer I made a choice to stop that. I now invest my time in those who took the time to earn mine, much like I made the time to earn theirs.

Fake Tan

Fake tanning needs to be a recognised art form! Because the time and dedication I have given to perfecting my tanning routine I believe it fully deserves it. No more orange hands or dry patchy skin I’ve nailed the tans that work, the routines that deliver and the shades that can fool even the most well trained eye, into believing this golden glow was a gift from heaven. No but seriously, Current faves are Bondi Sands and Coco Brown, its not always that sleek luxurious packaging that packs the best product.

Smoke & Mirrors

Not everything is as it seems. Not everyone is who they portray themselves to be and not everything is as perfect as they appear. So keep your head out of the clouds and ensure that YOU are always being you regardless of whether everyone else is trying to be someone else. It is all too easy to get caught up in the Smoke & Mirrors that people like to portray to the world so always remember; Be real, Be you and Follow your own damn dreams.

Luxury is Subjective

When I worked in French Connection in St. Albans, I remember walking in to Space NK and buying my first ever lipstick from NARS. It was a bright pink matte shade and I wore it whenever I could. At that time, that was the most self indulgent, luxurious thing I had ever done for myself. Now a days you may find me drowning under a sea of YSL, ByTerry and Giorgio Armani lipsticks in my tiny little office but I cling on to that day in St. Albans when I bought my very first one, I remember how much more expensive the carrier bag felt compared to the boots ones I was used to. I remember this feeling every time I eye up a new handbag or a pair of over priced shoes, because luxury has a completely different meaning for everyone. To be fair to myself, now a days luxury to me is a snuggle fest of a dressing down and some shearling slippers.

Best Friends

Those special people who totally accept you for you and all your over-the-top-italianess. Those mythical creatures who don’t come around often, those incredible humans who teach you about trust, friendship, empathy and selflessness. They are incredibly rare and yet the title “best friends” is thrown around as if it was utterly ordinary. For me, a best friend doesn’t share the same favourite handbag as you, in fact my best friend has a rucksack and it’s all practical and actually fits stuff that you need unlike my over priced Bulgari bag. But it’s one of those special parts of her that makes me realise why she is my best friend and why it took me 20 odd years to find her.

Imagery by Reece Chapman.

1. Ashley 4th October 2016 / 8:15 am

This is such a lovely post, Lydia! I’ve learnt to not trust people in haste because I’ve been burned before by my own best friend. And yes, I’ve learnt that most people are not what they seem to be. They’re just good in concealing their true selves to the world.

2. Adele 4th October 2016 / 9:43 am

I loved reading this post Lydia, you said some really wise words which have resonated with me. You look gorgeous in your jumpsuit. I think as we get older we view luxury differently (as the bags & shoes become a reality!). For me, quite often time is a luxury, or spending an extra hour in bed snuggled with my hubby!

3. Charlie 4th October 2016 / 9:49 am

This a great post Lydia and reflects a lot of the things I seem to have been going through in the last three years, so it’s reassuring to see that it’s universal (I had been wondering whether I was the problem!). I love your point about luxury being subjective as well, and how it means different things to different people! My luxury tends to be holding my boyfriend’s hand on a long walk in the fresh air – he works away a lot, so this is something I definitely count as a luxury! The photos are gorgeous and you look absolutely beautiful! xx

4. Adriana 4th October 2016 / 10:22 am

That jumpsuit fits you like a glove! You look gorgeous! Such a great post!

The Black Blush

5. Mishale 4th October 2016 / 10:34 am

I totally agree with you on all these topics. Especially the one about trust and smoke & mirrors. Today it’s difficult to know who really wants to be your friend or who wants to be associated with your type of personality you portray. Life is one big clichee. Also I remember buying my very first non-drugstore product. It was a black eyeliner by MAC and I bought it whilst studying abroad in LA a few years ago. Now I’m a graduated makeup artist with a room full of makeup. But I still experience the feel of luxury when I finally treat myself to that specific beauty item I’ve been eyeing forever. So many products have to be purchased out of necessity but luxury is for me getting to buy something *just because I want to* !! Haha also finding a high end product on sale is an incredible feeling. It’s not always about the price tag…

6. Avani 4th October 2016 / 10:47 am

Lovely post Lydia! I’ve had my fair share of life lessons and completely agree with everything you’ve written about. Trust is something I’m constantly working on. It takes me a long time to trust someone as I’ve been burnt too many times. It also goes with the best friend part. I don’t use those words lightly. Thank you for such a wonderful post, and you look stunning as usual! x

7. Eva 4th October 2016 / 12:46 pm

Really enjoyed reading this post. I actually really needed to hear a couple of these points today, so thank you for the inspiration! The outfit photos are beautiful, as per usual. x

8. Patricia 4th October 2016 / 12:48 pm

I bloody love this article and 100% agree with all these topics (ok i don’t with fake tanning because i don’t do tanning myself and prop had no clue, but i think it is an artform not to look fake tanned when fake tanned HAHA) and your wise words. Your opinion on the smoke and mirror and luxury lessons but also the trust one is ahmazing! In a world full of people who are one social media it’s hard to protect oneself to be real and be you, sometimes – because we see so many different things that we should like, should do, should need to be what other people would like to see or whatever. And i think protecting myself was the hardest lesson for me the last couple of yars. Now i can happily say i am who i am and all is real. The little lux addicted creative who things the most luxe thing is to spend time with loved ones, the family and celebrating every single day to the fullest, no matter what!

Bisous from Berlin, Patricia
    THEVOGUEVOYAGE by Patricia Petite

9. La Bijoux Bella | by mia 4th October 2016 / 2:24 pm

I like the mixture touch of the edgy pattern bandana and the ever classic Chanel look! Simply pretty! 🙂

La Bijoux Bella | by mia

10. Nicole Parise 5th October 2016 / 9:26 am

Good friends are hard to come by! And, I wonder all the time how some people fake tan without any issues ha….I struggle with dry skin and fake tanners tend to suck my skin out after one use! It is certainly an art form.
    xx nicole

11. jordan kelsey 5th October 2016 / 12:45 pm

This post is wonderful, I really enjoy it when you write pieces like this! The part about Smoke and Mirrors is definitely one of the most poignant at the moment. It can be so easy to get caught up in a world of fairytales and to always think the grass is always greener. Gorgeous photos as always too!

Jordan | Blog|| Instagram

12. Georgie 5th October 2016 / 4:48 pm

That was such a beautiful post Lydia, I laughed out loud a little at the fake tan life lesson. Its so true, once youve perfected a tan routine your life is set.
    And best friends are what life is all about, I travel all over and even if I dont see some friends for months or even years it doesnt change anything when we see each other again.

Georgie | Georgietoms.com

13. Lottie Gibbons 5th October 2016 / 7:28 pm

It’s so interesting what you say about the Nars lipstick Lydia, I remember when I bought my first MAC product and wow was it a big deal! I adored it!

14. Nikki Bergmans 6th October 2016 / 1:58 pm

Love that you’re so real in your posts, you’re a true inspiration and know what really matters. <3

15. Mira Aksoy 9th October 2016 / 9:19 am

The little paragraph about best friends is spot on, Lydia. I’ve known my best friend since I was 1 year old. I then moved to another city for high school when I was 16 and we didn’t talk very much during those 3 years. But now, when she’s moved from Sweden to London, we are closer than ever. I don’t know if she sees me as one of her best friends but she is definitely my bestest friend, and we are so so different but that is a gift because we can learn from each other.

16. Elise 10th October 2016 / 9:26 pm

Such a lovely post, I do love reading these kind of posts. Definitely agree with the best friend part, not everyone should be the same to be close.

17. Hayley Larue 14th October 2016 / 10:52 am

I LOVE the location of your photos for this post! You always have great locations, but this background color really compliments your hair and your beautiful tan! <3