Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

We can’t pick and choose the cards that we are dealt in life. If you are lucky, life can end up exactly like the fairy tales, but for some/many, that isn’t the way the cookie crumbles.

We have pinnacle moments in our life time, learning to ride a bike, our first day at school, experimenting with make up, boyfriends, heart break and, eventually, adulthood. What happens during the first few years of our lives can shape and define the person we become and it’s those who guide and nurture us who really matter.

“I was 13 and half, all the other girls in my year already had this stuff nailed.”

I remember coming to the top of the escalators of our local shopping mall. In front of me was the store where I was going to spend the next few hours finding an entire skincare routine, filling a make up bag and lots of other girlie stuff. I was 13 and half, all the other girls in my year already had this stuff nailed.

As I turned around to the person accompanying me, I flashed them a sheepish smile. Was she sure she wanted to spend this money on me? The person behind me was not who you would expect, but you can be sure there was no doting mother, somewhat apprehensive of her daughter growing up, anywhere to be seen.Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset It was my Grandma, and it was at that moment, when I looked back at her, calm and completely collected, platinum hair glistening in the April sunlight, That I realised my life was not going to lack as much as I had envisioned.

As a little girl I had sat at her dressing table, experimenting with make up, I had hidden myself in her wardrobe trying on all of her shoes and handbags and it was her, through her own experiences with sensitive and temperamental skin, who taught me the importance of exceptional skincare.

There isn’t a single night, in the last 15 years where I don’t cleanse, exfoliate and moisturise my skin ready for my beauty sleep and I have my Grandma to thank for that.

I now have my own dressing table, packed full to bursting with the products that really work with my skin type and the brands which I have grown to love and trust over the years, Clinique being one of the most notable. The 3 Step program is one I find myself turning to when my skin is truly in need. The Liquid Facial soap is gentle on my sensitive skin, the skin that I have had to learn a whole new level of respect for, after my acne treatment. The Clarifying Lotion 2 provides my skin with a gentle, non-abrasive exfoliation, meaning I too can experience beautiful resurfaced skin on a daily basis without it being too harsh and to finish I still use the Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion to provide my skin with the moisture it no longer possesses.

I owe my Grandma a lot. She taught me so much. Not just about looking after myself, my skin and my world. She taught me the things I never thought I would get to learn from another woman, she gave me the relationship with a woman I never thought I would have. She changed my path.Processed with VSCOcam with a5 presetProcessed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap 1

Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion 3

This post is in Sponsored Collaboration with Clinique.
Clinique’s 3-step system can 1 change make a difference? Yes. See for yourself and pop into your nearest Clinique Counter: #DifferenceMaker

1. Marianne 28th July 2016 / 10:26 am

I love your story! Thank you for sharing! 🙂
    The Clinique Clarifying Lotion has been one of my beauty essentials for as long as I can remember!

2. Gianni Casagrande 28th July 2016 / 10:28 am

Aw Lydia loved this post, images are beautiful too! Clinique was my first ever ‘proper’ skincare routine about 5-6 years ago, completely transformed my skin!

Gianni x | @thisisgiannic

3. Hayley 28th July 2016 / 10:29 am

I love Clinique, they are such a great brand. All their products are amazing!

Fab story too Lydia.

X Hayley

4. Lizzie 28th July 2016 / 11:41 am

Really beautifully written, Clinique was the first skincare and makeup brand that my mother introduced me to, I have gone back to them ever since! 🙂

5. Louise 28th July 2016 / 12:02 pm

Started crying at “sitting at her dressing table” ????

6. sheridan grady 28th July 2016 / 12:06 pm

Ahh this was such a lovely post to read, I had a similar relationship with my Nan who swore by Pond’s Cold Cream! Still love it to take my make-up off! x

7. Jodie 28th July 2016 / 12:14 pm

Fabulous post as always, until you read something like this you don’t realise think and realise about all the little things that happen when you’re younger and how much they can have an impact on your life! Your Grandma sounds like such a precious lady 🙂

8. Charlie 28th July 2016 / 12:29 pm

Did you seriously just put a advert for Clinique within this post?

• lydia 28th July 2016 / 12:46 pm

Hi “Charlie”, I wouldn’t usually allow comments like this on my page but seeing as this subject is close to my heart I felt it was good chance to address it.
      I MAKE MONEY FROM MY BLOG, I feel i’ve shouted about this enough but in case you missed that, there it is in big capitol letters for you. Now on the subject of whether i “seriously” put an advert for Clinique in this post, you can see at the post that this was in collaboration with Clinique, again in case you missed that. When this campaign came about I instantly knew who was my Difference Maker, and felt that this was such a perfect and wonderful campaign to share how I learned about beauty because sometimes peoples lives and their path is not at all what you thought it was. I’m sure many people sit back and think “oh Lydia’s life is perfect, lydia’s life is goals” well I’m not here to be “goals” i’m here to be real, this is my story, I got to share it as part of a really wonderful campaign with a brand I use daily and for that I am really fortunate. The out pouring of love and the messages I have received regarding it just goes to show how impactful these messages and stories are. So if you are totally blinkered in your idea of how content happens on blogs, unfortunately that is your problem and you maybe shouldn’t read them. But for me I know how these things come about, i know how carefully and selectively I choose campaigns to be a part of and for that I am so proud to have been a part of this and been able to share my story with it.
      I hope that makes sense.
      Lydia x

• Kelly 2nd August 2016 / 9:05 am

Well said Lydia x

• Dominique 9th August 2016 / 4:01 pm

Hey Charlie – NEWSFLASH: every single day, millions of people around the world go to work to make money to sustain themselves and their families. Bloggers are no exception. Why do you look down your nose at sponsored posts? Better question, why do you take the time out of your day to be such a negative pest? GO AWAY.

9. Lins @ Boo & Maddie 28th July 2016 / 1:08 pm

I’ve always been so intrigued to hear abut your Grandma as you clearly speak about her with such love and devotion and it’s wonderful the impact she has had on your life. Sadly both my grandmas had passed away by the time I was 9 but there is so much the older me would have loved to have known X

10. Adele 28th July 2016 / 1:58 pm

What a lovely story about growing up, it’s so good to look back on those sort of cherished moments. Your Grandma sounds a really special lady.

11. Jill 28th July 2016 / 7:28 pm

Lovely post, darling! Taking care of our skin is crucially important, so thank you for reminding everyone that! xx
    Jill D Blog

12. Tracey Dale 28th July 2016 / 8:32 pm

Such a lovely story Lydia. Xx

13. Maria 28th July 2016 / 9:25 pm

Hi Lydia, I love all of your content. Your like a fairytale yet so real & grounded at the same time. It’s clear that you have worked really hard & never give up to get where you are today. Such a lovely post & it’s nice that you mention your grandma in a few of your content. Would your grandma not feature on one of your videos, maybe give us ladies a few beauty /life tips. She probably would run a mile if you mentioned it. ???? ???? keep up the fantastic work. ???? xx

14. Aline 28th July 2016 / 10:10 pm

Hi Lydia, really beautifully written and your grandma sounds like a true inspiration 🙂

15. G 29th July 2016 / 2:00 am

My mom introduced me to skincare and a lot of her friends (or mine) thought she was mad. “Why do you let her put all of that stuff on her face? She’s going to get wrinkles” etc. It was really simple stuff like aloe milk cleanser or chamomile toner. I have never, ever had problems with my skin. I know it’s partly genetics but I recon that being informed about skincare helped a lot. I didn’t really use make up until my late teens but I also have my mom to thank for showing me how to look good.

16. Miki 29th July 2016 / 2:12 am

That is such a lovely story, and so sweet. Skincare is so important, and I’d struggled with it the last 2 years when it counted the most because of the changing environments with travel and my big move from Canada to US. I always tried, but the lack of sleep really destroyed it, but good products, sleep, good diet and exercise help so much. One of the few routines I have in my life is my mornings and night skincare.

17. Emma 29th July 2016 / 5:58 am

Lydia, This blog is so beautifully worded.. I had tears in my eyes remembering my nana from reading your story. Your grandma will feel very touched and immensely proud to read this I’m sure. Hugs, Emma xx

18. Lottie Gibbons 29th July 2016 / 9:13 am

Such a beautiful post, my Grandma is so similar, she was the first person to introduce at 12 to luxury beauty and I have never looked back since. Likewise to your Grandma ,my Grandma is a classic, still shopping at Zara and Selfridges she is incredible! xx

19. Augustin Ra 29th July 2016 / 3:40 pm

It’s nice to know that you have a great relationship with your grandma. ????????

20. Kerrie 29th July 2016 / 6:07 pm

Hi Lydia,

This post was such an enjoyable read and the photos are beautiful. I love how you took a campaign and shared such a personal story. I love the direction you are taking your blog in and I can’t wait to see what the future holds!

Kerrie x

21. Georgyana 30th July 2016 / 12:06 am

That’s a great post 🙂

22. alex 1st August 2016 / 10:02 am

I love this so nuch! It really warmed my heart:) Can you do the 5 things that make me happy tag on your blog?

23. Carina 1st August 2016 / 1:20 pm

Bless your grandmother, she sounds like a beautiful soul! This post is really touching lydia! Ah, got me thinking about my grandmother, even though we share a different relationship to you and yours, i love her just the same! 🙂

xx, Carina
    Blog – Running White Horses || YouTube

24. Majean 1st August 2016 / 10:20 pm

Such a great story. Aren’t grandmas great?! I still miss mine but know her teachings live on x

25. Home Love Queen 3rd August 2016 / 5:03 pm

What a lovely post 🙂 So nice to hear how important your Grandma has been in your life x

26. Dominique 9th August 2016 / 4:02 pm

Beautifully written, Lydia. It’s very refreshing when a blogger writes as well as you do. Keep doing you, boo!

27. Christina 22nd August 2016 / 5:17 pm

Hi Lydia,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and story. I relate to this so much as I have such a close relationship to my Nan due to an uncaring mother. Its nice to know that others go through similar experiences. My Nan has taught me so much and I would be nowhere without her. This has insprired me to write a similar post on my blog one day, so thank you!

Chrissi xx

28. Victoria Pease 5th September 2016 / 4:38 pm

What a touching story, how lovely that you had your grandmother’s support and guidance when starting off in the world of beauty and skincare. I pretty much stole my olive-skinned mother’s concealer to use on my very pale skin until I had enough allowance to start wearing shades that actually suited me!