Choosing the perfect Summer fragrance

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Processed with VSCOcam with a5 presetFor as long as I can remember I have wanted to be able to bottle up the scent of Summer and wear it every day; The smell of hot skin, sun cream and sugary sweet flowers. For me, it is the most intoxicating scent I have ever experienced. It feels me with nostalgia, it washes over me like waves.

The smell of a particular fragrance can transport me back ten years in a matter of seconds and those fragrances tell the story of your life, so I guess it’s pretty important when choosing a fragrance for the Summer a head, what memories will you make in its haze?

What’s Your flavour?

Do you like sweet or citrus fragrances? Intense or soft? Sophisticated or Flirty? It’s good to go with an idea of the kind of fragrance that you feel embodies you. It might sound incredibly simple but I have walked into department stores with absolutely no idea what I’m looking for, and left with a fragrance I don’t know who would wear let alone me.

It’s also good to do some research into the fragrances which possess the notes you are looking for because after a few sniffs they all smell the bloody same.

Go Bare

Generally, the idea of going out without a fragrance that I feel represents me, doesn’t feel me with joy but I have found that choosing a fragrance when I am already wearing one doesn’t tend to end well and my current fragrance collection is a testament to that, I’m one more bottle of fragrance away from moving out and letting them take over my home so learning from my past mistakes, I just go bare and try the fragrances that have peaked my interest.

Be Choosey

It’s best to go fragrance shopping with a level head and a small selection of scents you plan on sampling because as mentioned they can end up after a short space of time, merging into one. I recently went shopping in Selfridges Birmingham and I knew I wanted a fragrance which embodied the essence of Summer and with a little research I narrowed it down to Tom Ford ‘Soleil Blanc’ and Estee Lauder ‘Bronze Goddess’. Having worn Tom Ford Black Orchid for around 6 years I gravitated toward the counter  allowing the stunning scent to hypnotise me, before I knew it I was paying and on my way out of the door to the shoe department. The scent of Pina Coladas, salty and sweet skin and suncream is what the stunning bottle is bursting with.

Take Testers

Wherever possible, take testers and wear the scent for an entire day. I am extremely particular when it comes to smells, I get it from my step mum and the wrong fragrance can result in an entire day of nausea so before handing over my money I test the fragrance out thoroughly as I have a number of fragrances in my collection that I simply cannot wear but love the initial smell of. So I definitely suggest trying before you buy to avoid the mistakes I have made previously.

I’d love to know what your Summer fragrance of choice is for 2016?

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 presetPhotography by Ali Gordon with the Olympus Pen E-PL7 & 45mm Lens.

1. Simi 13th June 2016 / 7:27 am

The images are so stunning and I absolutely love the summer fragrance by Tom ford!
    Would be great if you did a summer makeup post, as I recently published a 5 natural skincare must haves driven by bareMinerals here and since you’re in lovely Greece would be great to see Greek beauty brands or makeup that doesn’t fall off ones face in the heat, as yours still looks perfect! X

2. Zita Jane 13th June 2016 / 7:34 am

I am in love with Jo Malone Wild Bluebell, I am now on my second bottle and I always get compliments when I wear it so it’s a must for me! I think Jo Malone is a fragrance brand that’s still a little under the radar so the chances of someone else close wearing it are smaller making the smell all the more unique!

Another beautiful post in a beautiful location!

Zita Jane | Twenty Four

3. Charlotte lane 13th June 2016 / 10:38 am

S T U N N I N G photo’s Lydia!! The sound of this fragrance sounds perfect to take on holiday and forever have the smell of it reminding you of the memories from that particular holiday 🙂 xo

P.S. I literally love your blog sooo much!

Char |

4. Leanne 13th June 2016 / 4:40 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous in these photos. I’m heading of for a beach vacation on Thursday and now I really can’t wait to see the turquoise water again.

Arum Lilea

5. Adele 14th June 2016 / 7:31 am

Beautiful photos Lydia. I cannot get enough of TF Soleil Blanc at the moment, it’s my go to fragrance (I wear TF Noir Femme in the Winter).

6. Joanne 14th June 2016 / 11:34 am

I love Tom Ford’s Black Orchid fragrance but i think my top choice for summer would be Dolce by Dolce & Gabbana, because it’s quite subtle and floral.

7. Emily 14th June 2016 / 7:04 pm

I’d love to try this looks gorgeous! My favourite perfume is coco chanel! X

Beaut photos as usual! X

8. Rebecca 15th June 2016 / 2:58 pm

Such lovely pictures. I’ll be looking out for this perfume next time I go shopping

9. El 16th June 2016 / 2:08 pm

Great tips.
    my current go to ones are miss Dior and daisy by Marc Jacobs

10. Dannii 17th June 2016 / 1:37 pm

I’m in desperate need of a summer scent, i have plenty of winter and transitional season scents but nothing which screams summer. I’ll definitely have to check this one out, i am in love with tom ford fragrances.

11. bloomamess 17th June 2016 / 11:59 pm

Great advice Lydia, I will definitely get a tester next time, and wear it for a day. Stunning photos, they look like a perfume advert! ;p

12. Elena 13th July 2016 / 1:11 pm

I’ve weared Flowerbomb from Viktor&Rolf for almost 10 years now, and in fact it has its own summer version, but recently I’ve been tempted by Infusion d’Iris by Prada. I’m going to exactly what you recommend, get a sample and wear it for an entire day! Thanks ! Great post!

13. Amie-Caris 24th July 2016 / 9:29 pm

Faragrance is one of my favorite things! I love, love, love Soliel Blanc…tried it on in an airport in NYC! As a fitness professional, I can’t wear fragrance at work, as such, but I can wear oils, as they tend not to bother my clients.

That said, if I’m not in the studio, I love Fuille de Tabac and l’air de rien from Miller Harris…but I’ve recently run out, which is a problem, as I live California and they’re UK-based, and don’t ship here!! I suppose buying perfume could be a good enough excuse to hop on a plane…?!