How to Start a Blog Today

So you have all these ideas racing around your head, all this creativity over flowing from within you and a strong desire to let it all out. If that all sounds familiar to you then I can assure you I understand you perfectly because a few years back I was exactly where you are today. I needed an outlet for my passions so rather than waiting for one to come a long, I decided to build my own.

A website where I could share all my loves, purchases and whatever else tickled my fancy at that time. I later went on to learn that what I was in actual fact doing, was blogging. But how did I start, where did I start it and how did it all keep going.

I would suggest starting off with an idea and building around the idea, all the aspects that are going to come together to make your blog. What will be the main focus? Will you have sub categories?ย This doesn’t have to be an exact formula, the beauty of having a blog is that it grows with you and so do your readers, you evolve and grow, tastes will change, so will passions and thats OK. But it’s good to start off with an idea and a plan of action.

Blogger? WordPress? Where do you start? The truth is it is completely up to you. Blogger to me is a great starter platform for any new blog. It’s easy to navigate, the templates are fuss free and you can still make everything look great fairly simply. Starting off on Blogger is a really good way to try it all out and even see if blogging is actually for you. Many people underestimate the amount of work that goes into owning and running a blog, it’s not all selfies and freebies yanno!

If you decide to go all in and work on WordPress, there are some really great templates from Pipdig that won’t break the bank and if all goes well further down the line a bespoke design could be on the cards.

Create good content and they will come. That really is the long and short of it. If you are covering all bases when it comes to your blogs written content, photography, social foot print and online aesthetic then you should, in theory be onto a winning streak. But these things don’t generally happen over night and it can take years to see the return on your investment. For example, it took me three years of work before I started to see any kind of return from my blog so you have to be prepared to work for free with nothing but love to keep you going.

This isn’t 2012 anymore, if you read blogs you will know that every so often you will come across some sponsored content. If the blogger you follow has any credibility, you won’t bat an eyelid and this content will sit in line with everything. But this isn’t the only way bloggers are able to monetise their blog content. There are places like RewardStyle that offers bloggers the opportunity to earn commission on items they sell via their blog and the real influencers of the industry earn most of their wages this way.

I pour my creative juices into my photography and writing. Neither of which I have ever found particularly easy but still enjoy considerably. The white aesthetic that I created for myselfย merged with a little injection of my personality into each post has quickly become the calling card of and its a good idea to establish in what direction you will take your blog. Will you share inspiration imagery or will you be creating your own is definitely something to take into serious consideration and I will always advise on creating your own. Not only is it such an incredible hobby to embrace but it will also set your blog apart and give it its own unique identity.

Read my post on Photography here.

All the above is good and well but if you don’t start you will never own a blog. I said for a long time that I wanted to create my own space on the internet and I thank my lucky stars that I took the steps needed to ensure I never became that person who simply talks about starting and never does. I started.

Photography by Lily Pebblesย with the Olympus Pen E-PL7 & 75mm Lens.

1. Brandie 30th May 2016 / 7:25 am

Yes great tips and the best one my favorite is just to do it! Or else you never will.. Love it!

2. Erin Henry 30th May 2016 / 7:52 am

Thanks so much for this gorgeous girl! It does get hard some times when your grinding away but to know that it was three years before you took off gives me hope that my consistency will pay off! Love xx

3. Sophie 30th May 2016 / 8:32 am

I recently started my own blog, about a month ago to be exact. Thanks for all the great tips!
    I would love it if you stopped by! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Adele 30th May 2016 / 9:42 am

Great tips & well structured post Lydia. I’m not a blogger but I do love to follow blogs, so it’s nice to see an established blogger handing out advice to those thinking of starting up.

5. Rebecca 30th May 2016 / 9:51 am

Great advice and tips!

6. Connie Matthews 30th May 2016 / 10:01 am

I’m looking forward to following your tips. Have never blogged or owned a business but am about to start.
    Hopefully both my site and first blog will be up in a week.
    I’ve only in the last 2 weeks started following you.
    Thanks Lydia

7. Hayley Larue 30th May 2016 / 11:38 am

I feel like this is totally a question every blogger receives from readers on the daily, so I’m glad you wrote this post! I was going to write one out, and I was thinking of including links from posts other bloggers have done as well, so that there can be multiple perspectives ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Michelle Joseph 30th May 2016 / 12:19 pm

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks so much for this post. I had a blog before but quit it because I wasn’t happy with the content. The pictures in particular. I was using my phone and I just wasn’t satisfied. So I quit with the intention of one day investing in a good camera to start again. But I’m going to start brainstorming my ideas but those first lines you wrote definitely apply to me.

Mich xx

9. Sara 30th May 2016 / 1:51 pm

Love the tips! I wish I got the advice of just starting it a few years back! As it took me about 3 years to actually man up and start my blog… and now I don’t know why I ever questioned it! I absolutely love it ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

10. Judy 30th May 2016 / 1:56 pm

Lydia, I just want you to know that I have NO interest in fashion (I live on a ranch–no need for nice clothes anywhere around here), I have three pairs of shoes, I have never owned a purse–the list goes on. But I love your blog. You offer terrific advice, you write straight from the heart, and your photos are truly beautiful. Thanks for helping out a new blogger (crochet is my forte). I hope I can provide my readers with the same kind of terrific experience you offer yours.

11. Raquel 30th May 2016 / 5:09 pm

Love this post, it has inspired me to put in the extra work to get my blog off the ground. Thanks x

12. Charlotte 30th May 2016 / 5:59 pm

These are some great tips Lydia! I think another great one is posting consistently too, I’ve had my blog for two years but never posted regularly until recently and it’s made all the difference with my traffic/growing my audience. Thanks for sharing about RewardStyle, I’ve never heard of it but will be sure to check it out now ๐Ÿ™‚ x
    Charlotte’s Road

13. laura 30th May 2016 / 6:52 pm

Oh Lydia, this outfit is the cutest thing ever – you look amazing!

14. Lilli 30th May 2016 / 10:42 pm

Lydia, I guess this whole post was just on point. I was definitely one of those people who has been waiting literally ages just to start a blog because of nothing basically. ๐Ÿ™‚

x Lilli |

15. Halima 31st May 2016 / 10:15 am

Great tips. Honestly starting was probably the hardest thing for me to do but I am so glad that I did, wish I had started sooner. You really have to take the leap and just do it, everything else, you learn as you go.

16. Adriana 31st May 2016 / 11:17 am

I opened the post, thinking it will be a little different than the usual generic how to start a blog posts. I would like to know more about what to do when you are lacking inspiration, how to find blogs you love, how to connect with other bloggers (apart from twitter or comments that dont usually get noticed), tips on how to do it while working full time, recommendations for text:photos ratio etc.

• lydia 1st June 2016 / 10:10 pm

Then that isn’t “how to start a blog” that is “how to run a blog”. what is generic to you is really informative to others so its good to try to bare that in mind. x

17. Jordan Kelsey 31st May 2016 / 11:36 am

So many useful tips, having just started 3 months ago and I absolutely love it. Like you sed you have to be prepared for hard work and I think so many people think it is so easy owning a blog but it really is hard, constant work. You’re such an inspiration into how rewarding it can be but you have to just follow what you love and believe in for it to ever be successful! Apparently the google bots hate the word sponsored and can gain you a much lower ranking in SEO, just a little tip I heard ๐Ÿ™‚

Amazing and gorgeous photos, the colours in this top really suit you!

Blog || Instagram

18. Stacey Galloway 31st May 2016 / 3:56 pm

I love these types of posts you do Lydia, I started my blog a little over a month ago and I have been really enjoying it but it’s quite difficult to get your posts out there! Thanks for the tips ๐Ÿ™‚

19. CashmereRaccoon 31st May 2016 / 11:37 pm

Lydia, its an interesting and definitely a very sought after topic. Nowadays majority of people around us either already have or want to start a blog. And such advice always comes useful. The most important, is of course, to have a very good quality content. I love reading your blog, always discover something new.

20. Radhika Recommends 1st June 2016 / 7:22 pm

This is a great blog post Lydia. Really inspiring for new and upcoming bloggers. I definitely think the investment and commitment of your time is so important.

21. Leanne 2nd June 2016 / 12:15 pm

Beautiful post Lydia. That outfit is too gorgeous for words.

Love from South Africa

Arum Lilea

• Emma Sales 2nd June 2016 / 3:24 pm

Hey Leanne, can I ask how you link you website in your comment please?

22. Emma Sales 2nd June 2016 / 3:22 pm

So helpful, I don’t know how I have only just discovered your channel and blog but you definitely have a new and loyal follower in me! Your content is great and I think I just watched about 20 youtube of your videos in a row!

I am really new to blogging (started in Jan), like you I knew it was something I really wanted to do and had a passion for but it was about taking the steps to make it good and appeal to people, so that they could enjoy my loves too. It it so good to hear someone talking about having to really work for it, some people just get lucky quickly, but saying you worked hard on your blog for three years before “making it” is something that I really commend!

Lots of Love <3

23. Eyman Asyraf 5th June 2016 / 6:04 pm

This is a great tip. It is true though, if you never start a blog, you will never own one. Thanks for the tips Lydia ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Niamh DUFFY 10th June 2016 / 7:03 pm

This has really helped me, thanks Lydia. I have started blogging in the past couple of weeks and its so hard to find time to write then try and share it and think of interesting topics but I am going to stick to it and hopefully it all works out.

25. Tiffany 10th June 2016 / 9:52 pm

This post is so on point for new bloggers and those who already blog! I’ve been thinking for a while that I should get back into blogging, and i just kept thinking about it and thinking about it. Finally decided that I could keep thinking or actually start doing and just dived straight into it. I couldn’t be more excited!

‘Just Start/Do it’ (with a sprinkle of planning) is my favorite advice ever, and it can be applied to almost everything!

26. Primrose 10th June 2016 / 10:14 pm

Love this – beautiful outfit and great tips – I’ve been running my blog for nearly 2 years & am currently looking to slowly incorporate more of myself into it besides fashion – lifestyle and recipes, however I think it takes time to do it organically and not make it look like it’s forced for out of place! Like you said it takes time but this is just the motivational push I needed! x

27. Chero 13th June 2016 / 12:49 pm

So helpful Lydia, you motivate me so much!

28. Jen Simmons 15th June 2016 / 2:29 pm

Lydia i’ve been meaning to start my blog for ages now and this article made me do it! You inspire me so much and I’m very grateful!

29. Nicole 20th June 2016 / 3:51 am

Thank for writing this! I have always wanted to blog but have felt to shy to do it. That is over and I started my blog finally! If anyone is interested it is at Thank you for your inspiration Lydia I hope to inspire other woman like you do! I love all of your videos and blog posts ๐Ÿ™‚

30. Sarah 23rd June 2016 / 6:32 am

I love following you on social media you have become one of my favourites…. I have recently started my blog…. I’m a big Instagram user and love contacting with others. Thanks for inspiring me …….

31. Ayla 28th July 2016 / 1:24 pm

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for this post! I just started my own blog a little while ago, and I keep hanging on to my mantra ‘if I ever only reach one other person who feels inspired, than I reached my goal’. It’s so easy to get sucked into looking at other blogs that are doing really well and make them an example, thus making yourself a failure if you’re not there (yet).So your encouragement to just pour the creative juice and hang in there was a very welcome read. Congrats on your blog being so successful, keep up the good work!