Tattooed Eyebrows | Truth, Lies & the things you need to know

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis time last year I made a big decision. Well a big decision for me that is. I decided to get a tattoo but this wasn’t going just anywhere, I was going to get this on my face!

When my friend Kerry told me she was going to become a Semi Permanent make-up artist I had visions of harsh block brows and tadpoles. Little did I know she would go on to become one of the best in the business, achieving feather light hair strokes that blend seamlessly with your own. As soon as I saw her portfolio I booked myself in for appointment one of the two part treatment and from that moment many of you wanted to know more.

Shape & Shade

The most fundamental part of the brow tattooing process is the shape and colour. It needs to compliment your natural shape as well as your face shape and complexion, your therapist should ensure both factors are perfect.

Getting the correct shade tends to be the easy part where as getting the shape right is where all the appointment time goes and it is important to remember the age old saying

“Eyebrows are sisters & not Twins.”

it is unlikely the other brow will be the mirror image of the other but neither is your face so that really is a given, however, and I speak from experience here, your eyes will lie to you. I spent the best part of 45 minutes getting Kerry to correct something I saw as wonky in the mirror, but when she took a picture they were in actual fact, perfect. What you see looking in the mirror is quite different to how they look to the outside world and in my honest opinion I’d hate to think people were looking at my wonky brows just so I could see them for what I thought was perfect.

Once the outline has been pencilled in, which I must admit is very scary as it looks very bold and harsh, your Therapist will begin the art of creating hair strokes which merge with your natural brows.

These hair strokes will look quite bold to begin with but within 2 weeks they will fade out to a perfect natural shade.

Does it hurt?

Is it painful is one of the most common questions and I guess rightly so, you are, after all getting a tattoo on your face. And the truth is, it might do a little, but Kerry applies a layer of numbing cream to begin with, then does a small amount of tattooing to break the skin and then applies another to ensure it goes as deep into the skin to prevent as much pain as possible. But I’m not going to tell you that you don’t feel a thing as everyone is different and everyone’s pain thresh hold is different and you are reading the blog of the girl who thoroughly enjoyed her post op experience following cosmetic surgery.

Are They Permanent?

The real answer to this is both Yes & No. As mentioned previously everyone is different and some skin reacts differently to others. Some can be left with a small trace of the tattoo and others can lose all pigment completely. Sometimes your skin will reject pigment in areas and only for it to return later on. It’s very odd but is most definitely normal for this to happen. I treat my tattooed brows as the general shape, and seeing as I had been drawing in my left brow 3mm higher than the other, this is very welcomed, and then depending on how I feel I either add some volume or simply leave au naturale.

Brow Fashions

Whether you love a perfectly plucked fine brow or a Cara Delavigne power brow, a good Therapist won’t be following trends. Instead they will be following your natural brow and face shape to create a style that compliments you. Fashion evolves so quickly especially when it comes to brow trends and you don’t want to be stuck with something so fleeting. These are the aspects that can be added to your brows with the amazing products currently on the market but a good Therapist will always go with whats natural.

Black Brows

I asked Kerry what the most common questions she’s asked are and

“Will I have black brows?”

is definitely up there. Unfortunately as with every industry there are the good, the bad and the disastrous and the reason brow tattooing is so scary, is because of the latter two. We’ve all seen some bad workmanship at some point when it comes to eyebrows and we don’t want to end up in the same boat so it’s important to thoroughly asses the Therapist’s work, you intend to book in with and ensure you are happy with them to do your treatment.

These brows are going to be on your face for a long time so it is important that YOU communicate what it is that you want effectively before hand to ensure you receive the eyebrows that you want. If you aren’t happy with the outlined shape then you have to vocalise this and work together to create the shape you are both happy with. Kerry was extremely Patient and understanding with me throughout the entire process and I left a very happy bunny with a cracking pair  of brows.

Some questions to ask yourself before going under the needle;

Is she Qualified?

Does she come across as professional?

Did she perform or supply you with a patch test?

Is her treatment room/Salon clean and sterile?

Are you happy with her portfolio?

Are you comfortable communicating openly with your therapist?

View Kerry Emma’s Portfolio Here.

1. Saf 5th February 2016 / 7:48 am

Really impressive, they look so natural!

• Avery Imara 11th February 2016 / 6:36 pm

I have tried to have my eyebrows tattooed twice. The first time I had them tattooed and then went for the suggested follow up. After all the scabbing fell off I think the color was gone within 2 weeks.

The next time I tried, I went for two follow ups
      I was trying to assure that they would stay this time. No such luck, same results.

I went to two different providers that are highly recommended in Portland Oregon, both licensed and certified by their certification organization…..And lots of local positive reviews.

I still have no explanation for why this is happened, I followed all instructions perfectly afterwards. I am thinking about going to a real tattoo artist as they use different ink. I am just worried about what it will look like in the nursing home!

• Avery Imara 11th February 2016 / 6:38 pm

Oh, and it hurt like hell both times! Both artists used the same numbing method as mentioned above in the original blog post.

• Avery Imara 11th February 2016 / 6:39 pm

I am located in the United States.

2. Adele 5th February 2016 / 10:12 am

They look brilliant on you Lydia, I love the shape. Really informative article. I wonder how they would look on a blonde, with a much lighter shade brow.

3. nueyork 5th February 2016 / 11:17 am

They really do look stunning on you, Lydia! Seeing your brows really changed my mind as they look so, so natural!

4. Steph 5th February 2016 / 12:37 pm

That is a really useful post, thanks. I know a few people that have had bad experiences with tattooed brows so this will be great to show them. I may like to have a try myself. Do you know if the ink fades to an orange tone as I’ve seen that happen to someone?

5. Emma 5th February 2016 / 1:10 pm

Ever since I found out that your brows are tattooed, I’ve been thinking of getting some myself. Because it looks so perfect on you!

6. Georgie 5th February 2016 / 1:51 pm

I keep seeing more and more girls getting this done and I’m leaning more and more towards it. The before and after pictures are incredible, the brush stroke hair lines that you can see in the after is so cool and natural looking. I can’t do them now because of work, but in the future I would love to get them done.

7. Hollie 5th February 2016 / 4:50 pm

They look so good and natural, thinking I might have to get mine done now! Thanks Lydia xo

8. El 5th February 2016 / 7:42 pm

I wanted to get eyebrow tattoo about two years ago but decided against it as I thought they would look harsh on my face. It looks quite nice on you though, not harsh and natural looking.
    Im trying to grow mine now as they are quite thin.

9. Annie 5th February 2016 / 8:15 pm

Hi Lydia

What type of cost approx should you expect to pay?

10. Dolce Petite 6th February 2016 / 5:45 pm

You look so beautiful even without makeup! Thanks for all the tips, this is definitely something I would consider for the future, as I think that it would make going makeup-free every now and then much easier!

11. Lindsay 7th February 2016 / 4:21 am

Wow, I’m actually impressed. I would consider this. I’m so fair and have non-existent eyebrows to begin with and it’s annoying drawing them in daily. Someday..
    Have a good weekend my dear xo!

12. Paula 7th February 2016 / 12:33 pm

Really helpful post Lydia! I was going to get mine done but backed out last minute as I just wasn’t 100% sure, it’s a pretty scary idea getting a tattoo on your face! Yours look great though xx

13. Jo 8th February 2016 / 4:18 pm

Thanks to your blog posts I have mine booked in with Kerry in March which I am so excited for. Her work is amazing.

14. Jessi Malay 9th February 2016 / 1:22 am

I live off of that Anastasia brow gel. Great blog post girlie!

XO, Jessi

15. Jessica 9th February 2016 / 4:06 am

My sister had this done and I wasn’t so in love with it. Made me so scared to try it for myself! I’m planning on taking a very small baby step and have a professional tint my brows. Should last 3-4 weeks and from there I can figure it out lol. Yours look beautiful!

16. Miki 13th February 2016 / 8:51 am

Love your brows. I don’t think I can bring myself to do it. I already brace myself when I cut my hair. I don’t think I can manage something permanent. Will have to keep coloring in my brows, but yours look so good.

17. Jaque 14th February 2016 / 11:40 pm

I have been toying with the idea of doing this. Yours are so perfect, my expectations may be too high after reading your posts! 🙂

18. Wynne 2nd March 2016 / 7:38 am

you look flawless!

19. Kimberly Sompson 19th September 2016 / 2:39 pm

Thanks, this post is amazing. I am thinking about getting an etebrow tattoo after my sister got hers. It looks really natural and I would save a lot of time. I have to color my eyebrows everyday bevause they are thin an irregual. After this post I feel way better and I think about going toStylish Brows in Miami. Because I love the result from my sister, it looks so natural and it’s a good quality.

20. Poppy 15th October 2016 / 11:07 am

My Mum also had her eyebrows tattooed and they totally transformed her face and still manage to look natural, this is great open and honest post, I have thought about it for a while, I have big brows but have gaps which I fill in but would be nice for them to look like that all the time. Thanks for sharing! x