Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset Processed with VSCOcam with a5 preset

I am not blessed with a shapely silhouette, I’m slight, petite and once even described as “frail”. I took it on the chin and added it to that ever growing list of “Character Building Insults” of which I have become quite the collector over the years. I might be frail but my skin is thick.

I lay awake in bed one night, one of those nights where I struggle to drift off because all I can think of is what I plan to wear or buy the next day. I know I can’t believe I’m admitting that either, but it’s true. During my racing thoughts one night I decided that I wanted to try something new. I wanted to side step my comfort zone somewhat and try some different styles of denim. I wanted high waisted, I wanted vintage wash denim and I wanted on trend cuts and styles.

My first stop was Topshop, I real high street destination when it comes to denim. With hundreds of styles to choose from in just as many washes I felt this would be the best place to start to test the on-trend-denim waters and see how choppy it was possibly going to be.

Needless to say it was not smooth sailing.

I tried on my first pair of “Mom” jeans and wanted to cry at how pitiful I looked in them. What tiny shape I posessed was swallowed by the weight of the denim and I looked anything but on-trend I can assure you.

“I’m slight, petite and once even described as “frail”.”

I left feeling defeated by denim and envious of all the bootylicious bloggers I had seen wearing them so effortlessly. “You can’t win them all, Lydia” I told myself optimistically and decided to go in search of a happy medium.

I love the high street, I really do. It is where we get to experiment before we commit, where we find those gems, those game changes and those bargains we can’t wait to share with our friends. But there are exceptions and I will be the first to tell myself when I need to put my hand in my pocket and put my money where my mouth is.

Shop TOPSHOP Denim

I found myself headed for the only destination for premium denim in times of need like this; The Selfridges Denim Department. Many an time have their wonderful staff saved me from my denim related woes, and this really was no exception. I made a B-line for the Paige concession and it all went swimmingly from there. Paige Denim are one of the most comfortable denim brands I have ever had the pleasure of touching my tush and their high waisted styles really form fit when it comes to petite frames. Speaking of petite frames, did I mention that they are also one of the few denim brands to provide us 23 inchers with the right to possess quality denim?

The Jacqueline Straight – High Rise Straight Crop from this seasons Paige denim collection was the style that I was looking for. The waist rise was comfortable and flattering. The straight cut shape too was flattering and slimming on my legs whilst the fabrics were breathable, comfortable and light weight. The raw hem detailing fed my love of vintage denim perfectly although I have been known to cut some slits in to a pair of £200 denim before and am undecided on this current pairs fate.

Chanel accessories and my current favourite blouse which I nabbed in the end of season sales, make for the finishing touches to this new style of denim that I’ve fallen head over heels for.

Shop The Post

Blouse – Me+Em

Denim – Paige

Bag – Chanel

Shoes – Chanel

Bracelets – Monica Vinader | Theofilis | Thomas Sabo

Sunglasses – Porche Design

1. La Bijoux Bella | by mia 18th July 2016 / 7:24 am

The jeans looks beautiful on. Great choice in selecting the best possible style to compliment and enhance the body. Simply beautiful! 🙂

La Bijoux Bella | by mia

2. Marianne 18th July 2016 / 8:51 am

I have also been struggling to find the perfect denim fits. As you, I am quite petite and most jeans look ‘baggy’ on me.
    Those Paige jeans look incredible on you! The whole outfit is just pure perfection!

3. Gemma 18th July 2016 / 8:54 am

You look effortlessly stunning and I too purchased this blouse in the sale based on your recommendation ????

• Gemma 18th July 2016 / 8:54 am

That was supposed to be a thumbs up

• Gemma 18th July 2016 / 8:54 am

That was supposed to be a thumbs up

4. Freya 18th July 2016 / 10:44 am

Literally adore this outfit! I know this post is about denim but I just need those Chanel slingbacks in my life

Freya |

5. Sophie 18th July 2016 / 11:25 am

Love the cut-off details paired with the elegance of the Chanel slingbacks 🙂
    I post every Monday and Thursday, I would love it if you checked out my blog!

6. Leah Rose 18th July 2016 / 11:34 am

These jeans look amazing on you! I love the raw edge.

7. Lizzie 18th July 2016 / 11:54 am

I think jeans are definitely an item of clothing that it is worth/sometimes necessary to shell out that little extra money. Once you do you really notice the difference!

P.s love the outfit!

8. Katrina 18th July 2016 / 2:54 pm

Love those jeans. I think Hudson are a really good brand as well 🙂 P.S. you have the best figure!

9. Patricia 18th July 2016 / 5:24 pm

Ohmygod you are absolutely everything but by no means frail. Urgh.
    So, let’s talk about the stunning things! This denim looks awesome. Suits you really well – i would say, even if i never tend to wear blue denim, this style could be one i see myself wearing a lot. I am still on the hunt for a nice 7 jeans but will have a lil look a pair of paige ones, if we can get it here. Hope so.

Have a wonderful day!
    Bisous from Berlin, Patricia

10. Cat 18th July 2016 / 8:47 pm

i love skinny jeans as much as mom jeans – maybe mom jeans a little bit more<3
    xx from italy
    Cate ? kate/

11. Megan 18th July 2016 / 10:59 pm

I have never tried Paige denim, but I really want to. I normally love my Topshop jeans but they really don’t last that long, I guess you get what you pay for!

Why Not Blog //

12. Ella Kate 19th July 2016 / 4:16 am

Love your blog and your style!

13. Carina 19th July 2016 / 7:16 am

Absolutely LOVED the way you crafted this post lydia! <3

14. Adele 19th July 2016 / 7:30 am

Love the frayed hems & the fit looks fabulous on you. You can never underestimate a good fitting pair of denim!
    I have the same 2.55 double flap, only I have it in the jumbo size as opposed to the medium you have. It was my first Chanel bag & my most special.

15. Eyman Asyraf 19th July 2016 / 10:36 am

The bag looks stunning. And I love the frayed hem on your jeans, it looks very raw and natural

16. Charlotte 19th July 2016 / 12:35 pm

Lydia you should try the TOPSHOP Lucas Jeans.
    They don’t usually stock them in store, as I think they might be a new style – but they are a much tighter fitting ‘boyfriend/mom’ jean. I had exactly the same problem as you did, none of the usual relaxed jeans fitted me and looked too big and stupid – but I would really recommend these and they are only £45 xx

17. Nina 19th July 2016 / 5:31 pm

I have to agree, the outfit is really beautiful and I love those jeans on you 🙂 especially the hems look so nice, I like them most 🙂

Besides of your post, I have a question about your make- up.
    Yesterday I think, you showed a Body Shop product to lighten or darker your foundation.
    Has it been “Honey drops of sun” or “Shade adjusting drops”?
    I like to darken my foundation, but are not quite sure if the dark product is really good..I only read positive effect about the lightening drops.

Hope you can help me!
    Counting on your opinion 🙂

18. Nicole 20th July 2016 / 5:40 am

Lovely post Lydia!
    Switching up the cut and style of denim is difficult, but the frayed hems really work!

19. Audrey MARIANNE 20th July 2016 / 8:29 am

This look is fabulous I love it !
    That bag makes such a statement in a neutral/classic outfit, and you wear it perfectly.
    Those jeans look very good quality and I think it fits your body frame like no other. Thank you for sharing your experience with jeans with us.
    I find it hard to find one that suits me well sometimes because I am more on the petite side too but with just a bit too much hips I think, so it might be quite difficult to find the perfect height and lenght at the same time !
    – xx

20. Adaleta Avdic 21st July 2016 / 12:13 am

What an absolutely beautiful post, and your entire outfit is so luxe and chic. You’re a beauty and you’re not frail. Everyone is different, and your figure it your unique element to you. If we were all the same, it would be silly and boring. I, for one, adore and admire your figure & think you rock it so well. Beautiful babe! xx Adaleta Avdic

21. Amanda Florian 21st July 2016 / 3:12 pm

I tried on a pair of high waisted jeans at topshop too recently and they were so awful from behind!! I determined that it was the wash and pocket placement. It’s a tough journey finding a flattering pair of high-waisted jeans- that’s for sure. Thanks for your tips, as always!

22. Emma Lilley 21st July 2016 / 9:29 pm

We have all had those feelings you describe in the changing rooms after trying on new denim pieces.. I am what would be defined as ‘bootylicious’ and have too walked out feeling defeated and envious, but this time of those petite frames! Although I don’t wish to celebrate you feeling this way, it’s refreshing to hear that those with the frames that I envy also go through this too.

Your figure is gorgeous and it makes you you. This is some advice that I should take myself however you should not take on board any insult about your figure- you are beautiful!

We should be celebrating all of the different shapes and sizes that us ladies come in, and they should not be defining of our characters.

Great post again, Lydia. Thank you.

23. Vesna 24th July 2016 / 11:57 am

These are so right for you! Love the whole outfit, great styling!

24. Primrose 25th July 2016 / 9:18 pm

They look absolutely beautiful on you! I adore Topshop denim but really didn’t get on with their mom jeans – the fit wasn’t right and they didn’t feel comfortable. Surprisingly I went into Zara and fell head over heels with a pair of mom jeans for half the price! Glad you found some you adore! Love the Chanel shoes too! x

25. Lea Rose 26th July 2016 / 1:39 am

Ahhhh it is so difficult to find a pair of jeans that fit me well and don’t make me appear shorter. I definitely need to get my hands on a pair of these jeans! They look stunning on you!

26. Jordan Kelsey 27th July 2016 / 3:05 pm

I always struggle to find jeans that fit me also, you can spend hours in the fitting room trying on different style and shapes but always resort to high waisted as I am not very shapely either! You’ve given me hope that there is other styles out there to suit so I will restart my hunt. Always love your outfits!!

27. Liana 4th August 2016 / 1:40 pm

Ughh that Chanel bag… Absolutely stunning! And I noticed the evil eye bracelet lol Greece? I love your posts always 🙂 <3

28. Jill 6th August 2016 / 3:10 pm

Looking great! And photos are gorgeous as always xx
    Jill D Blog

29. Sophie 14th August 2016 / 4:35 pm

This outfit is just so adorable! Love this blouse so much! And the colour really suits you!

30. Amber 17th August 2016 / 1:26 am

Lydia, you’re totally a friend in my head, so I figured it was about time we (virtually) met. We have so much in common (a penchant for old denim + an uncontrollable obsession with our fur baby + misophonia + sticking to all nude makeup palette + being a workaholic + favorite *color* white!) you’re my ultimate #hairgoals (just saying!)

You put out some of the most beautiful content, consistently — from the writing to the photography.

Denim is my favorite thing to wear and there’s nothing that compares to a well-cut, well-worn pair. I have super slim hips and curvy thighs/butt, so it’s always a challenge finding jeans that don’t gap at the waist. I’m obsessing over your selections!

– AB |