INVISALIGN LITE BRACES | Perfecting a not-so-crooked smile

At first glance no doubt you will think I am mental for deciding to get braces and put myself through what is perceived to be a drastic and difficult ordeal, when my teeth already look the way that they do. To the untrained eye my teeth are great, in fact even to the trained eye my teeth are great, if I do say so myself. But I have a confession which may not just shock you but also explain my reasoning behind the treatment. For 14 years, from the very moment the doctor put the stethoscope to my Mum’s tummy, the distinct sound of little me could be heard sucking my fingers and that sound didn’t cease until I was well into high school. Luckily the damage was not too extensive but both my top and bottom teeth had been pushed out of align, with my bottom teeth starting to grow into area’s that they shouldn’t causing discomfort as well as lop-sided bottom teeth.

Having corrected my discoloured teeth, I now found myself focusing on the other area’s of my teeth that weren’t quite right and decided I wanted to look further in to cosmetic dentistry options, starting with straightening my teeth. I decided to speak to my Dentist which I had recently registered with, a stones throw from my home, Claydon Dental, which is a new concept practice who have worked tirelessly to develop an environment and ambiance that feels more like a Spa than it does a dentist. Although I have never been one to be scared of the dentists, even I appreciated the calming and friendly atmosphere that they have created, every time I visit.

Due to the subtle nature of my case we discussed and settled on the Invisalign Lite series which costs around £3800 for the entire treatment. My dentist Neil started by taking a selection of images of my mouth before booking me in for a thorough hygiene appointment. Following this appointment I was invited back to watch a computer generated video showing exactly how my teeth will change over the next four months. Once I had decided that I wanted to go a head with the treatment I had moulds taken of my mouth, both top and bottom, before sending them off to have my braces made. With Invisalign you change your braces every 2 weeks until the end of the treatment, which push and pull your teeth ever so gently into their final, straightened position with each new set of trays.

I received my first set of trays a week ago now and due to the sheer volume of requests which flooded in from Snapchat, I decided to document my 4 month treatment on a monthly basis. The start of the treatment was quite tough, I had some issues talking due to some sharp edges on the trays which I had to endure whilst in Paris before rushing to the dentist, fresh off the Eurostar, to have them filed down. But once that was all smoothed out, lol, and the dull ache of my teeth from the first set of trays had subsided, I have really gotten used to them and settled into my new routines.

I think the thing that has shocked me the most is how absolutely no-one has noticed that I got braces. Not one single person, and in my mind I thought that everyone would know and it would be extremely embarrassing but it has been quite the contrary. People only know when I apologise for myself for “sounding funny” but again every single time I have been met with blank expressions of “what are you chatting about Lydia?” because honestly no one has noted any change in my speech. Changes I have noticed are only when I remove the trays to eat or clean them, the inside of my mouth feels strange, almost foreign, as If there is already substantial movement.

I thought this was going to be an extremely difficult and testing treatment but so far I’m taking it all in my stride and am eager to report back next month.

To register with Claydon Dental or discuss Invisalign treatments visit their website here.

1. Fashionviolin 16th March 2016 / 9:08 am

So cool ! Need this in my life 🙂 heard a lot of invisalign from other people and bloggers , I´m definitely going to get it for my teeth!
    lovely greetings from Germany

2. Adele 16th March 2016 / 9:23 am

Wow!Braces have moved on since I was growing up! Look forward to your next installments to see if you’re happy with the whole treatment. I wish my dentist was more like a spa!!!!

3. Jane 16th March 2016 / 10:41 am

You say you have corrected your discoloured teeth, would you be able to share how? I’ve always been wondering, they look so white! I’m dying to get mine whitened, and would love for them to look as amazing as yours!

Love, Jane

• Rebekah 16th March 2016 / 9:49 pm

I also really want to know!

• Cat 21st March 2016 / 2:36 pm

I also want to know!!:-)

4. Tashi 16th March 2016 / 1:04 pm

Such beautiful pictures! You can barely notice the braces! I too used to suck my fingers when I was younger and my two front teeth have been ever so slightly pushed forward. I always thought that it was too much of a small correction to make but no I know that this is available I am going to enquire! xx

5. Jodi 16th March 2016 / 4:16 pm

I am due to have my consultation next week, I have been going on about these for a while, until my dentist finally told me last month how quickly my teeth can be transformed into straight teeth! Mine will take slightly longer than 4 months though, infact over double but it will be great to see how you get along with yours!

6. Susi 18th March 2016 / 8:59 pm

Great post! I’ll send it to a friend of mine who is getting them soon so she can read about it 🙂

7. Cyntra 22nd March 2016 / 5:12 pm

Well done for getting these. I feel you with people asking why but my bottom teeth needed it.
    Remember to clean, clean and clean again – it really makes you realise what goes in your mouth

Good luck I hope you don’t have them for too long.

8. Kathryn McCabe 29th March 2016 / 3:02 pm

I am on set 2 of my Invisalign and I have to agree, no one notices them at all. I have always been concious of my teeth, so looking forward to having a nice, straight smile in a couple of months! Problem is, I am so used to covering them with my lips, that I now need to train myself to smile properly! xx

9. Tracey 29th March 2016 / 4:31 pm

I too would like to know how you get your teeth white x

10. Amy 30th March 2016 / 11:06 am

To anyone considereing Invisalign – do it! My teeth werent that bad before, but were a little crooked and i wasnt happy with them. My treatment was quite complicated as slightly twisty teeth are harder to treat than teeth which have been pushed forwards or backwards, so i had almost 50 sets of trays in total! However, i would do it again in a flash as it has literally changed my life – i smile, i feel confident, and soooo many people comment on how lovely my teeth are 🙂 Thanks for sharing Lydia, i hope it encourages more people to take the plunge xx

11. Melissa 2nd April 2016 / 12:37 pm

I had Invisalign braces 2 years ago. I still wear the maintenance retainer at night, due to my age and my teeth still like to shift. I, like most teens, had the metal braces but ended up losing my retainer and my teeth shifted as I grew older. I was very consience of my smile and I finally put my foot down after putting two of my three children through braces, I decided to do it for myself again but went the invisible route. Not many even knew I had them, except when I would have to remove them to eat. I would suggest anyone who is wanting straight teeth, to go this route. I didn’t suggest it for my kids, becuase I was afraid that as the trays shifted the teeth, they may remove the trays and not wear them as long as they were suppose to, so we did go the traditional route with them.

12. Adele 9th April 2016 / 6:19 pm

I had Invisalign braces several years ago, they are amazing!

13. Sonia 15th July 2016 / 12:23 am

I finished my Invisalign treatment back in 2010! Best thing I ever did! Was a hell of a lot cheaper back then too ???? Compliance is the only barrier which u seem to have sorted. And only those who have had it will notice them, especially the attachments. Stick with tho……You’ll love the final result xx

14. Victoria wells 28th August 2016 / 12:59 pm

I was so please to find this article. I have an appointment booked in for September. I read your blog and follow you on insta I would never have guessed. my teeth are straight but have an issue of a few too close together so I’m hoping that this will help!!