My Top 5 “Wisdoms” I’ve learnt on my Fitness Journey

1b 1a It’s only when you look back to the day you first set foot in the gym when you actually realise how much you’ve learnt simply through being passionate about something. Whenever the subject crops up in conversation I find myself able to talk non stop about the various “wisdoms” I have uncovered a long the way and you’d be surprised by how obvious some of the really are, but there are so many myths, rumours and uneducated opinions in the world of fitness sometimes you just have to work things out for yourself.

You Cannot Spot Reduce

I hate the inside’s of my thighs and I will not be told otherwise (seriously you can ask my PT) I’ve never liked the pocket of excess fat which seems to store there but I have learnt to deal with it since learning that you really cannot lose weight from selected areas.

“How can I lose weight on my thighs without losing it from my boobs?”

is rather a common one and the truth is, if you are losing weight you cannot pick and choose where it’s coming from so if you are looking to lose weight and you are doing so, just embrace it.

It’s OK to take time off!

There’s nothing quite like a few thousand people watching you to make you feel pressure to hit the gym, so a few months ago I decided to give myself a break and loosen the reigns a little. I love being healthy, it fills me with satisfaction but sometimes I can’t/don’t want to/don’t feel like going to the gym and it took a long time for me to realise that feeling like that was perfectly acceptable. This for me is fun, self indulgent and rewarding and I intend for it to always stay that way.

Preparation is Key

Whether it’s meals, time tables or simply just prepping your gym bag the night before, preparation makes it a million times easier to stick to diets and workout schedules but not only that it saves a considerable amount of time. If I rise at 7 am, hit the gym for 8 am, shower at 9am, curl up on my office chair for 10 am, reply to emails until midday then head down to London for a variety of meetings I cannot express the sheer thankfulness washes over when I return home and simply have to head up a delicious meal I prepared earlier. It’s quicker than peanut butter on toast which means that little mishap happens far less.

Gym buddies are magical

I have been lucky enough to have some of the most wonderful and motivating partners when it comes to working out. They made the endless hours spend in the gym far more enjoyable and exciting whilst providing the most incredible amount of support and motivation a long the way. As usual you only realise how good you had it when it’s gone and since I bought a house, moved away and had to join a new gym I have lost them and I am desperate for a replacement. So if you are lucky enough to have a gym buddy, hang onto them!

Pay attention to your body

The biggest thing that keeps me going back to the gym, even on times when I feel to tired, is the one we all experience but only some acknowledge and thats how you feel after a really good work out. I feel proud and I feel driven but more than anything I feel happy, the endorphins kick in like clock work and I hold on to that feeling for the entire evening. It keeps me going time after time just to feel that way again and it’s almost like a little reward for doing something just for you. Here have some Happy hormones!

What are your top “wisdoms” you’ve learnt on your journey?

Leggings – Gymshark     Vest – Gymshark     Sports bra – Gymshark     Trainers – Nike

1. Adele 6th November 2015 / 8:10 am

Pink looks great on you Lydia. For me, it’s all about routine & like you I get my swim bag ready the night before. It was great to read it’s okay to take a break. I’m on a forced break from my morning swim while they tile the bottom of the pool & although I’m missing the endorphins like crazy I’m treating it as a time to give my body a well earned rest.

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:52 am

Enjoy the forced rest and be ready to head back when the pool is ready 🙂 x

2. Robyn Taylor 6th November 2015 / 12:23 pm

I NEED a good gym buddy in my life! All of my friends are so anti haha! Plus how do you look so good in gym clothes?! I look like a troll that’s just woken up haha!

Robyn / Phases Of Robyn

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:51 am

I need one too 🙁 I miss having one so bad!

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:48 am

It’s such a great brand 🙂 x

3. Dani Mendocha | Styled Variety 6th November 2015 / 7:08 pm

These wisdoms are so true, Lydia! I have definitely experienced everything you discussed on my own fitness journey 🙂 I think the most difficult one for me is accepting that it’s ok to take time off. I usually tend to get mad at myself if I miss the gym, which only winds up making it worse in the long run because the discouragement makes it more difficult to start back up again! But I’m learning every step of the way 🙂 Loved the post as well as the awesome workout outfit!

Dani |

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:47 am

It really is so much fun learning aswell 🙂 x

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:47 am

I am in desperate need 🙁

4. Kris 6th November 2015 / 8:37 pm

Great advice! Sounds like I wasn’t the only one to let out a sigh of relief when you mentioned that it’s okay to take breaks. I recently moved cross country and at first I was almost feeling guilty for not jumping right back into my regular workout routine, but you’re definitely right. Sometimes you need that break, and as long as fitness is an important part of your life and something you enjoy it’s not hard to start back up either.

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:47 am

Oh Kris, don’t push yourself too hard hun! your body will respond so well the breaks now and then x

5. Amanda 8th November 2015 / 2:23 pm

Thanks Lydia for sharing your top wisdom in this area that is becoming so much harder for us woman in this day and era. In an era where we are measured on our selfies and looks like no other time before. But I always choice to believe we can become more and better! Which leads into my wisdom: 1. Everyday is a choice. You can choose to go to the gym or not, you can choose to hate yourself for something or give yourself grace, you can choose to live… it all is a choice. 2. Never forget to smile! When I work out and am feeling tired or sore, studies have proven smiling helps! It can make soul cycle a beast or a party! 3. Do it for the love. I find when I do it for the love of the workout or the people I workout with, it is no longer work, but pure joy!

Thanks for always being a spark of inspiration! And being real with us too… I really respect you for that, Lydia.

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:45 am

Oh Amanda! Don’t you will set me off! thank you for sharing your own wisdoms!! x

6. Kaari 8th November 2015 / 7:29 pm

These wisdom points are really useful and true. Another one I would like to point out is to listen to your body and don’t over push it. I was also, at one point, disappointed in myself when I did not hit the gym or when I ate something sweet. That made me think that I should “go hard, or go home”. I chose the first option which was not the smartest one. I pushed my self really hard in training which resulted in stretch marks. And I have a difficult time accepting them. To look at the positive side, I got to know that this kind of a “power training”(heavy weights etc.) does not suit me and I should rather stick with interval training.

• lydia 10th November 2015 / 9:44 am

Such great advice Kaari!! x

7. Shirley  16th November 2015 / 11:30 am

Thank you lydia for sharing this with us. These 5 are key in your road to fitness. Love to read such wisdom from you again.

8. Will 5th January 2016 / 9:36 pm

Completely agree that’s it important to take a little bit of time off from the gym and let the body recover long term it’ll help a lot!

9. Taylor 13th March 2016 / 11:36 pm

This really made me smile and put a few things into perspective for me. After discovering your fitness photos on Instagram and your blog your legs are one of the things that have actually motivated me to join my local gym and incorporate some fitness into my own blog. Isn’t it ironic that thats the one part of you which you wish you could change.

One persons flaw is another’s idea of beauty! 🙂 don’t forget that xx

10. SCARLET 26th July 2016 / 6:07 pm

“It’s OK to take time off!” this is true and as long as you “Pay attention to your body” nothing will go wrong.