A Lisbon Travel Guide : 5 Things to do

2 Early in the morning of Monday 28th September, myself and two other members of team Olympus Pen, Ali & Jay jetted off on yet another of our Travels. Destination; Lisbon Portugal. Following a hearty breakfast of pancakes, bacon and maple syrup we were up above the fluffy clouds on a short two hour flight to Lisbon airport.

On arrival we were whisked through the street of the city centre to our hotel, The Ritz Four Seasons. There’s something about that name which says luxury and it certainly did not disappoint. Little did we know that we were about to embark on one of the most incredible trips of our careers, enjoying some of the very best that Lisbon has to offer, experiences that you simply for yourself so below you will find my “5 Things to do in Lisbon Travel Guide”.

Afternoon Tea in bed At The Ritz Four Seasons.

After a day full of travelling we were greeted in our spacious room, and when I say spacious I mean larger than our 2 bedroom house spacious, with an exquisitely presented tray of afternoon treats with a freshly brewed pot of the finest white tea accompanied by trays upon trays of macarons, eclairs and miniature fancies. Both Ali and I enjoyed every last bite whilst sat upon our vast white bed wearing nothing but our fluffy towels and slippers. We watched the world rush by from our 10th storey window whilst the sun set slowly behind. It was the most perfectly exquisite way to unwind after a tiring journey.

A Birdseye View of Lisbon with Lisbon Helicopters.

The morning of our second day in Lisbon, we woke early venturing downstairs sleepy eyed for a plate of Eggs Benedict and fresh orange juice whilst the sun rose before us. Our car picked us up not long after and we were whisked off to the waters edge. Perched on what felt like the edge of the world was our next activity, we were going up, up and away into the skies of Lisbon via Helicopter. The Very Nervous Traveller was very nervous to say the least. The staff at Lisbon Helicopters were nothing short of exceptional, whilst their relaxed, understanding and down right goofy attitudes immediately put me at easy and once we had learnt the safety necessities we were strapped in. Then they took the doors off, I couldn’t believe they were doing this to me. However the moment I got up there I was so very thankful that they had, because I truly felt that I was flying magically above the city. I don’t remember taking a single breath during the entire 30minute flight but I will remember the wind and the views for as long as I live. A definite tick off ones bucket list.

Seafood Fine Dining at Porto Santa Maria.

Flying high above cities works up quite the appetite and despite our full breakfast spread lunch could not have come quick enough. We pulled up at Porto Santa Maria Restaurant mid afternoon, the white building adorned with bright fuscia foliage was very welcoming. We were escorted to our white table clothed table where we immediately began feasting on fresh Oysters, seafood croquettes and fresh bread. For my mains I opted for the Lobster Linguini which was a creamy sauce on a bed of parmesan cheese with meaty lobster to accompany. I am hungry just thinking about it. The boys went for a mix of surf and turf which stole their ability to converse until every last morsel was gone. There was no room left for pudding which is extremely unlike me, instead I opted for an espresso as I looked out over the sea through the crystal clear windows.

Explore Central Lisbon, Cascais, Sintra

Using various modes of transport from private car to TucTuc which are on offer at The Ritz Four Seasons, we explored the very best of Lisbon. From standing open mouthed at sheer beauty and size of the Church of Santa Engracia to breathlessly making it to the very top of Castelo dos Mouros it felt like we uncovered every inch of outstanding architecture that Lisbon had to offer. But whilst wondering around the beauty of the buildings I found myself enchanted in the details from magical stars decorated into the floor to porcelain like tiles adorning the walls of homes across the city. It felt like we uncovered it all but I just know I could have spent a lifetime exploring those beautiful places.

Mini Bar, R. António Maria Cardoso 58.

The grand finale that almost never was. Our booking at Mini Bar, the incredibly trendy Gourmet restaurant of 2 Star Michelin Chef Jose Avillez was changed with easy following Ali falling rather unwell on the second night of our trip. On the brink of a hospital visit the staff at The Ritz Four Seasons were faultless, attentive and empathetic in the most professional yet friendly manner, arranging, rearranging and sorting every last detail so that we did not miss out on a single moment.

The following evening we pulled up at the modest looking bar and were shown to our seats, following the recommendation from our legendary driver “Born Player” we all agreed on the tasting menu, we were unaware of the amazingness that was to come.

I should have guessed from my “hairspray” Cocktail, but we were in for a feast of magical bite sized treats which would leave us comfortably satisfied rather than fit to burst. This restaurant is Lisbon’s answer to Heston Blumenthal’s “Fat Duck” but at 35 Euro-a-head to Heston’s £150, this was far more accessible.  We started with a cocktail which arrived in a green bubble that popped in my mouth releasing a shot of delicious fruit filled juice and moved through an array of Olive flavoured Jelly, savoury Ferrero Rocher to popping candy puddings. This was the most exciting, fun and enjoyable meal I have ever experienced. You didn’t know what to expect, what was next or what flavour you would be met with. Yet they were able to cater to even the pickiest of bloggers pallets, ahem! And we left on a cocktail fuelled excitable high, with nothing but the food as topic of conversation.

A huge and warm thank you to the entire team at The Ritz Four Seasons right through front of house and PR to the amazing and joyful maid who cleaned our room, for providing us with a truly once in a lifetime experience which was expertly planned and executed with ease. I will be back, I promise.

All images taken on the Olympus PEN E-PL7 Kit, 45mm & 17mm Lenses.

1. Adele 12th October 2015 / 9:38 am

Wow! What a fabulous trip. I loved your instagrams & Snapchats of it. The helicopter ride looks amazing & the meal too. Sorry to hear Ali was unwell, hopefully all good now!

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 10:50 am

Thanks Hun! Yeh it was a bit scary but he was fine in the end 🙂 x

2. Lutetia Flaviae 12th October 2015 / 10:23 am

I’m highly biased but, I love these pictures! I’m always sensitive when it comes to my second country. Haven’t you seen the Jeronimos cathedral or eaten pastéis de nata? There’s still so much to visit in this beautiful city! You should go back :p By the way, you probably meant Castelo dos Mouros, you wrote it in Spanish 😉

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 10:52 am

I definitely did try Pasteis de nata and they were amazing but from all the blogs I read before going, they are very well known so I wanted to showcase some bits that maybe weren’t so well known. We didn’t get do visit Jeronimos monestry there were obviously things that we weren’t able to do in the short space of time but hopefully I will get to go again.x

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:04 pm

Ahhh thank you so much! I really loved shooting and editing this post!x

3. Jay 12th October 2015 / 12:27 pm

Such an amazing trip! So glad I got to enjoy it with both of you!

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:05 pm

Jay, you’re a legend! i hope we all get more trips together!! x

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:05 pm

It certainly was 🙂

4. Sofia 12th October 2015 / 4:28 pm

Dear Lydia,
    I am truly happy that you came to see my city and that you enjoyed. The wonderful pictures state that. Passionate for photography know that Lisbon has got one of the most unbelievable yellowish light specially at dawn, I am pretty sure you could have seen it from the top of the Ritz 😉
    I have the privilege to live right in front of the river so I now how magic it is and I am really happy that you made such great review. Next time let me know and I can show you other 5 or 10 amazing not-to-miss places in this magic setting.

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:05 pm

Hey Sofia, we loved it! I hope you will get to show me more of the City when i get to come back 🙂 x

5. Dani 12th October 2015 / 4:59 pm

I’d of never thought of visiting Lisbon! I always seems to go Faro way! It looks gorgeous, and I loved your snapchat in the Helicopter; you’re brave than me!

Can’t wait to visit!

Dani x

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:06 pm

Dani i was so so scared but once you are up there! wow! literally wow!

• lydia 12th October 2015 / 6:07 pm

Honestly can’t believe how complimentary everyone has been about my photos! I’m really trying to hard right now with my photography so this makes me so so happy! x

6. Martha Jane 13th October 2015 / 12:48 am

Suuuuch an amazing post! I was in Lisbon at the beginning of last month, and this just took me back! Sintra was the highlight of my trip, but I’m so eager to experience more of the city itself! Gorgeous photos, Lydia x

Martha Jane | http://www.marthajanemusic.com

7. Maria 13th October 2015 / 12:53 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful trip Lydia! I will be going to Lisbon for just one day so thank you for sharing your top 5 spots! I love reading other people’s travel experiences xx

Maria | ohsofashionably.com

8. Sara @ SaraLou · Yoga 13th October 2015 / 6:34 pm

I absolutely love Lisbon! I was just there this summer…the fresh colours of the buildings, the hillsides, everything is just wonderful!

• lydia 18th October 2015 / 11:32 pm

It’s so damn pretty!! x

9. BLACK KALE 22nd October 2015 / 4:08 pm

Those blue tiles look so beautiful. I’ve been to Lisbon but it looks like you’ve had an amazing time! The bar look like a great place tog of or some drinks etc.

10. Freya 10th November 2015 / 3:21 pm

Lisbon looks beautiful! I’m planning on going away in Easter so this is now top of my dream destination list – great post Lydia x

11. Debbie Pinto 13th May 2016 / 3:34 pm

So happy you enjoyed Lisbon! Love your blog and YouTube channel.

Lots of Love

12. Inês Cardoso 17th June 2016 / 4:31 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed Lisbon! If you ever intend on visiting Portugal again you should definitely come to Porto and taste our magnificent wine and see all these underrated landscapes! And if you’re on the hunt of having a awesome day at the beach in certainly one of the most beautiful places in the world, Lagos (Faro) is the place for you, all the way in south. You won’t regret it!
    Lots of love!