Make up for Acne Prone/Roaccutane Treated Skin

In the morning I would wake up and the first thing I would do is look in the mirror. But it wasn’t to check how tired I looked that morning. I had spent my last waking moments wishing I would wake up to clear skin, I even dreamt about it as I slept. But like every morning I awoke to disappointment.

I know how utterly soul destroying having acne is. I remember one night I thought my acne was returning after I had finished my treatment and I haven’t felt so defeated in a very long time. One of the biggest misconceptions when it comes to acne is that we must be dirty or we must trowel on lots of make up. This kind of mentality infuriates me. The fact is most acne sufferers will be boarder-line oil/bacteria phobic. I also went through a stage of wearing no make up what-so-ever in the hope that it would in some way aid my skin. Obviously it didn’t  otherwise I would never have gone on Roaccutane.

Time and time again the same question from fellow sufferers crops up “what foundation is best for Acne Prone/Roaccutane treated skin?” so much so that I thought I would write all about why it’s the best choice for temperamental skin. As far as myself, my £200 a session dermatologist, my GP and anyone else wanting to delve into the subject of acne, is concerned, Mineral Make up is the only option.

What is Mineral Make up?

Mineral make up generally comes in powder form and is made up of Zinc oxide, mica, Iron oxide and titanium dioxide to name  a few. These minerals are ground down to create the powder which creates tiny particles which although small are unable to sink into the pores of the skin which can cause congestion and spots.

The difference between Mineral and Regular make up…

As a whole, foundations tend to be made up of a lot of the same ingredients but mineral make up leaves out all the nasties which can irritate skin and clog pores. Parabens, fragrance, talc, preservatives, oil, and other harsh or inflammatory chemicals are absent in Mineral make up making it the perfect choice for problematic skin types.

Does Mineral Make up benefit the skin?

Dermatologists, doctors and surgeons the world over recommend mineral make up over others because it is much less irritating to the skin, scarred tissue and delicate areas and can even be soothing to inflamed skin. So whilst it wont do what all the lotions and potions we use on a daily basis do, it certainly won’t be making the situation any worse. I honestly believe that this make up plays a big part in the fact that I didn’t suffer much scarring from my acne.

My thoughts, experiences and suggestions…

Part of what makes writing these posts so enjoyable is that you guys want to know which products I suggest, what I think of them and what I would recommend. It’s lovely to know that you value my opinion on this so much and really does push me to give you the best review possible.

When I first made the change to mineral make up over 8 years ago it wasn’t easy. It feels very different to wearing other normal liquid foundations. In fact it made me feel like I was wearing nothing on my face at all, which for someone with acne really was quite unpleasant. But I was determined to do the best for my skin and ensure I wasn’t covering it with something that was going to make my problem worse. So I perceived and as I said above I genuinely believe that the combination of this foundation teamed with kicking my oil phobia and introducing facial oils into my skincare routine, really is a fundamental factor in the lack of acne scarring I suffered.

I currently use the Bareminerals Original foundation because so far it colour matches my skin the best although I am keen to try M.A.C.’s take on mineral powder and also brands like YoungBlood and there are many other brands now a day’s offering mineral make up such as Neal’s Yard, whose mineral Bronzers and Blushes I adore. Antipodes, whose entire brand ethos is centred around pure and natural goodness and newbie Lilylolo who offer an even broader spectrum of mineral products including an amazing brow kit.

If you are currently suffering with acne I would suggest visiting your nearest counter to find out more and grab a sample to see if you like the products and if you are receiving treatment I’m sure your dermatologist has already told you about Mineral make up, but if they haven’t I strongly suggest giving it a go as I have no doubt that it will aid the results of your treatment.

This post was shot on the Olympus PEN E-PL7 & the 45mm lens.

Shop The Post

• lydia 2nd September 2015 / 8:25 am

It’s definitely something you should consider xx

1. Adele 2nd September 2015 / 10:27 am

Such a useful post. I never really new what mineral products were, thanks so much for explaining.

• lydia 2nd September 2015 / 10:38 pm

Let me know if you try them hun xx

2. jenny 2nd September 2015 / 3:12 pm

Suffering from acne since my early teens it’s been a huge struggle! I too love mineral make-up and find it very light on the skin! My favourite brands would be Inika and Bare Minerals. It’s not about having dirty skin or wearing to much make-up that gives you acne from my experience its more of an internal thing! I’m currently on medication to help my skin and find certain smoothies help packed full of avocados! I’ve also gone through lazer treatments that helped clear up scarring but never really treated the main root of the problem! Lovely post xx

• lydia 2nd September 2015 / 10:39 pm

Hey Jenny, so glad to hear you are sorting the problem! let me know how you get on 🙂 x

3. Victoria 2nd September 2015 / 4:58 pm

I have been using BareMinerals original makeup for what seems to be like forever. It is truly the best out there on the market. I’ve tried using liquid foundations but always came back to BareMinerals. I’ve also been using Aintipodes skin care, which is amazing.

• lydia 2nd September 2015 / 10:40 pm

hahaha you sound like me!! I have antipodes which I love the texture of but I think I need to be colour matched properly!xx

4. Tamara 2nd September 2015 / 7:41 pm

I use the Bare Minerals all the time and love it. My skin has got better but I still get acne from time to time and don’t like to have a lot of product on. The powder foundations works best for my skin.

I have posted my August Favorite on my blog: And would love to hear your feedback!

5. Alice 2nd September 2015 / 7:46 pm

Thanks for posting this Lydia. I too suffer with problem skin and have heard so many good things about mineral makeup. I really want to love it but I find that it sits deep into my skin and accentuates every flaw rather than cover them up. Do you use a primer/moisturiser before applying it? Any advice would be much appreciated!

• lydia 2nd September 2015 / 10:41 pm

I use a primer now but when I was on roaccutane I only used facial oils, I love the rose oil from Neals yard and I currently LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sunday Riley Juno oil, literally Sunday Riley is the best skincare I have ever

6. Nicola Penn 3rd September 2015 / 3:27 pm

Can I ask what lipstick you are wearing during this post?x

7. Becky 3rd September 2015 / 11:08 pm

Gorgeous! I also advenure out to try new products but come back to bare minerals. My skin is soo sensitive especially my eyes and I never have a problem with their products! Can I ask is that honeylove on your lips?

8. Joelle 15th September 2015 / 11:25 pm

Hi Lydia!
    I love your blog and youtube channel and your journey really inspired me to think of alternatives to a standard job after college. Anyways, I also took Accutane (that’s what my derm called it) and decided to write a post on my experience to help fellow sufferers of adult acne hahaa. You have a voice in the beauty world and I would love your insight into what you went through.

Btw, I love that you address that you were on Accutane. I feel as if there is a stigma surrounding it and I always used to avoid talking about it. It’s wonderful a beautiful woman can admit she suffered with acne and isn’t perfect!

9. Liza Dooey 17th September 2015 / 11:33 am

your skin now is absolutely flawless.. this gives me a little bit of hope! 🙂 I would love to try bare minerals but I’m sceptical about the coverage. I’m so used to using Vichy Dermablend which has such full coverage

10. Jazmine S 28th September 2015 / 3:01 am

I am new to ur blog, so far I am enjoying it and find it helpful. I have used mineral makeup and found it helpful. Mac mineral powder is good w/coverage, but kind of broke my skin out so I stopped using it. I swear by this app called skindeep, it lists the hazardous v. non or less hazardous ingredients, very helpful.

11. Urjasi Dutta 2nd October 2015 / 12:19 pm

Mineral makeup made a big difference to my skin, especially since I’m part of the crowd that suffers through acne. Mineeral makeup doesn’t even seem that heavy on the skin, which is a plus.
    Very informative post!

Much love xo

12. Lindsey 2nd October 2015 / 12:54 pm

I suffer from acne aswell. The biggest problem I face with makeup and even skincare is that I have acne, And dry skin. Mineral powder inevitably looks like cake and/or drys me. Makeup Forever HD liquid foundation was a beauty color for my skin with great coverage, but they have changed the formula. I suggest to anyone who doesn’t want much coverage that has similar acne/dry skin to purchase Chanels Vitalumière Aqua foundation. Also accompanied by their Milk cleanser. But I need more coverage then that…not too much like CoverFx though. Eeep. I’m rambling. But I need help! x