Tips for dealing with Exhaustion

Last week I gave my first ever speech to a lecture theatre full of students, adults, lecturers and even some men (I know I couldn’t believe it either).

To say I was petrified was the understatement of the century. In the last year I’ve learnt that the thing within us that enables us to cope with stressful situations is something that was never engrained in me. I generally just struggle with coping. So as I arrived at my old University and met with the people who would be looking after me on my visit. I began to “not deal on an epic scale” to the point where, when one of the University staff was telling me I would be fine, I genuinely started feeling my throat burn and tears prickling the backs of my eyes. I was close to crying, “What are you 5 years old? Pull yourself together Lydia!”

Once the speech was over (which obviously didn’t go as bad as I envisioned) I felt this wave wash over me like nothing I had ever felt before. That wave was pure exhaustion. I arrived at my parents house and by dinner time I was falling asleep at the table. But there was no time to stop and deal I had bookings, meetings and deadlines.

Finally it all caught up with me and before my flight to Ibiza I suffered one of my worst panic attacks to date.

I made a vow with myself right there and then to never let that happen again. So as more of a reminder to myself than anything else I’ve put together tips for preventing, treating and dealing with exhaustion.

Sleep in

It’s something that I genuinely fear, the thought of sleeping the day away. Losing precious working hours. But sometimes you need to switch off the alarm and let your body rest until it’s ready to wake by itself. I knew I needed it when Iย missed a complimentary yoga class at sunrise in Ibiza, I mean if that isn’t the ultimate sacrifice I don’t know what is! Obviously you don’t want to sleep in every day but be sure to allow for it when you need it. Routine is just as important as rest.

Have Boundaries

This is something I am currently struggling with and surely will for the foreseeable future. Right now it’s 21:28 and I am still working. It’s safe to say if they had asked me to work this late in my old job I’d have told them where they can shove it. But my job doesn’t feel like work, my job is my life, in fact my job isn’t a job at all, it’s a lifestyle. So I’m currently attempting to give myself time to switch off, funnily enough yoga sessions aren’t meant for Snapchatting.

Time out

Whether it’s to simply take a breather or scheduling in some daily meditation (see post here), wherever possible step back, put your phone, mouse, keyboard, iPad, whatever down and walk away. Sit on the sofa, floor or bed and breath. You will be amazed by how a day at work can send your breathing haywire and one of the most valuable skills I’ve learnt in the last year has been the ability to gain control of my breathing in order to calm myself down, preventing adrenal exhaustion.

Relax & Indulge

When you finally do get to grips with the boundaries in your life don’t be afraid to really indulge in your down time. My favourite thing to do is to get into my pyjamas, remove my make up with my most expensive and indulgent skincare, turn on my electronic diffuser with my favourite relaxing essential oil, Ylang ylang, pour myself a mug of my favourite calming tea and play my favourite playlist of what I like to call “Whale Music”. This is my idea of heaven, this is where I escape it all.

Give yourself Goodness

Ensure you replace the energy thats lost with organic sources. A great source of energy to start the day with is Organic oats, I enjoy it most with some compote and my special energising coffee brew. Other great energy sources are Raw Cacao, Goji berries, Splirulina and Coconut everything!

Shop The Post

1. Emma Rose 28th May 2015 / 7:38 am

This is actually just what I needed right now! Amazing advice Lydia, I will be trying this out tonight. Much love x

2. Jessie 28th May 2015 / 9:02 am

Love this post! I agree it’s so important to give yourself time to unwind. I have recently been super stressed with all my university finals. I completed them last week so this week I’ve done nothing but relax and it’s been really strange but I also feel it’s really important to do. These are some great ideas – I really want to take up yoga to relax me too! xx

Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

3. chiara 28th May 2015 / 10:28 am

Hey ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s hard to hear that you suffer from panic attacks, on the outside you come across so perfect (but not in an annoying way at all because you also talk about your imperfections) that it’s difficult to imagine somebody as amazing as you would suffer from this. I guess being the best version of yourself is hard!

I know it probably doesn’t mean much and I only ‘know’ you from this virtual perception but you truly come across like the best version of yourself. It’s easy to say ‘you have nothing to worry about’ but people can be so hard on themselves sometimes and worry doesn’t change the result of success, turn that into pure motivation. This is a cheesy comment that people hate me making reference to, but I’m into star signs and you’re an Aries, a natural born leader who’s head strong and determined! Smash it with the ram’s full head force!

4. aleksandra kukula 28th May 2015 / 11:00 am

I am so glad that I could meet you and listen to some of your tips and advice. You was looking great on the stage and nobody could see that you were stressed ๐Ÿ™‚
    I finally created my website and the first post is about my scarf – I don’t know if you still remember…? Have a lovely day!

5. Stephanie Hartley 28th May 2015 / 1:51 pm

Yoga is such a good chance to switch off. I struggle so much with boundaries too, and I make sure I have no social media on and my housemates know that if it’s yoga time do not approach my room!

Steph –

6. joanna 28th May 2015 / 5:34 pm

i want your PJ top – where is it from? x

7. Christine 28th May 2015 / 8:51 pm

I too suffer from Panic Attacks. It is so important to self care. Ironically, when you suffer from them you have a need to “prove” yourself to everyone and yourself as well. I always want to take care of everything else first. Sometimes my relaxing is work too! It is a slow and steady progress. Best of luck in keeping calm.
    Christine @

8. Inga 28th May 2015 / 11:45 pm

Useful and informative as ever, noted down the tips. Thank you beautiful <3

• lydia 30th May 2015 / 10:11 pm

Awww I hope they help, even if just a little <3

9. Benny 29th May 2015 / 8:32 am

Really nice post Lydia! I had a very similar experience in the past and I learned to take things easier and relax with the help of very simple things, such as lighting candles, sipping tea at night and take breaks every now and then (when studying or working).
    We all want to reach our goals and tend to push to hard sometimes!
    Have a lovely day! and come check my blog for healthy recipes to keep fit, healthy and beautiful for summer! <3

10. Heather 31st May 2015 / 7:24 pm

Hi Lydia, thank you so much for this post. It came at exactly the right time for me. I too suffer from ‘generally not coping’, which people struggle to understand when the person they see seems to be doing okay. I am a single, teenage parent back at college, just finish my A-level exams and I had the worst panic attack of my life the other night. This post was comforting to read, knowing someone struggles with the same things as me – I hate lie-ins too! I follow you on Instagram and you DO seem so perfect at a glance, but your posts are so touchingly honest that I feel I know you as a person. Thank you for being such a realistic and honest role model xx

11. Lady Eve 29th December 2015 / 10:24 am

Lydia, thank you for this post. I think it has particular resonance at this time of year, when so many of us are reeling from the ‘must do’ list that we draw up in our own heads to make sure everyone around us has a great Holiday Season. I’ve only just discovered your blog but will definitely be back!