Dental Care & Teeth Whitening

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERABelieve it or not about 9 years ago I would never smile. I bet you don’t find that so hard to believe from my blog photos, I look like a right grump I know so I’ve actually been making a conscious decision to look happier because in person I do actually smile, ALOT! But 9 years ago I did not. My lovely dad made sure my teeth were completely protected by having an extra layer of enamel coated on my teeth, but it also lead to my already discoloured teeth getting worse. I’d always had good dental hygiene but the colour of them wasn’t a reflection of this.

Then for my birthday my wonderful and ever understanding Grandma took me to have my teeth professionally whitened by her dentist. It cost around £400 and I would need to sleep with the custom mouth guards in every night for two weeks. It was pretty expensive but it worked and I’ve never looked back. But thankfully times have changed a lot since then and what is now available on the market are products that are just as effective for a fraction of that price.

First off buy a damn good electric tooth brush. I’ve literally only learnt this since Christmas when Ali bought me my first electric one. I’d always had a problem with plaque build up between my teeth, no matter how much I flossed, which also leads to your teeth appearing discoloured. When I started using the Braun Oral-B electronic toothbrush I genuinely couldn’t believe how good it was and it completely stopped all build up, even my dentist couldn’t believe the difference. My Grandma still has all her own teeth because of how well she looked after her and I fully intend to be like her at 80yrs old (a complete bombshell too) plus taking care of neglected teeth is painfully expensive. If you buy one thing this pay day, make it this tooth brush!

It’s such a ball ache but in reality we should be flossing after every time we eat, if you manage that I’m in complete awe of you. I aim for once a day but sometimes I can miss a day (or two, eep!) But it really is a fundamental part of good dental hygiene as well as keep teeth bright and sparkling. I tend to go for any old floss but I know that the Denta-brushes which are tiny minute brushes that go into the gaps are always the best option, they are just also rather expensive.

There are endless teeth whitening products on the market now and I always like to top mine up especially before Summer, I love glowing skin and sparkly teeth and eyes! This set from Brighter White is a really great option and is almost identical to the kit I got from my Dentist all those years ago, the only difference is technological advances means you are able to now mould your mouth guards at home using just a jug of boiling water, Genuis! You also don’t need to wear this one all night, which was part of what I hated it made me feel like I wanted to grind my teeth. Instead you wear this for 30-60 minutes with the LED light on which can be done whilst you get ready for work in the morning. You just have to remember that You can’t whiten your teeth past your natural whiteness and people with harder teeth (Me) have yellower toned teeth and people with softer teeth (Ali) have whiter toned teeth. It’s a really great which is budget friendly at about £40 rather than £400!

Shop the Post

1. Emily Kelly 2nd May 2015 / 8:10 pm

As a dental student, this is my favourite post yet!

2. Emma 3rd May 2015 / 9:50 am

Do you find the teeth whitening kit is sore at all? I have very sensitive teeth and have been looking for a tooth whitening kit that won’t make them even more sensitive xx

3. Kathryn 6th May 2015 / 8:43 pm

I’ve also noticed such a huge difference in my teeth since using an electric toothbrush, even my dentist has said I have good brushing – don’t know where I’d be without it haha. But I really should floss more (it’s just such a pain with braces). Great post thanks for sharing : )

Kathryn | Nimble Note

4. Francesca 22nd May 2015 / 8:41 pm

When you got your teeth whitening at the dentist did they take your teeth past your natural white colour? As your teeth are amazingly white, I find it hard to believe that this is what mainly contributes towards your glowing smile. Please don’t take offence, but are you getting paid to advertise Brighter White? Because you post appears misleading and leaves me to assume that your teeth colour is down to this product, and not mainly because you got it professionally done? I know you mention you cannot get your teeth past their natural colour but it is still a bit misleading.
    Totally agree about an electric toothbrush though! Worth the investment! 🙂

• lydia 25th May 2015 / 12:29 am

Hi Francesca,
      I don’t think this post is misleading in the slightest i’ve made it very clear that I had my teeth professionally whitened and then instead of paying through the roof for more product i got the opportunity to try brighter white, after using their product i agreed to let them sponsor some instagram posts because i loved the product, infact i loved it so much that I wrote a blog post on it, which was not part of the sponsorship I did that off my own back. As far as my dentist told me you cannot whiten your teeth past their natural colour therefore I use this product to refresh my teeth after the copius amounts of coffee I drink. As with all the content on my blog I do not promote products that I wouldn’t use/dont love myself. I’m not a con artist I’m a girl who likes to share my thoughts on products that I love, there is zero benefit to me telling you to go and buy a product if its rubbish, it damages my reputation and loses trust. As someone who didnt ever smile before having their teeth whitened I’d atleast like to help one or two people with a much cheaper option than the £500 that I paid to have it professionally done.

I really hope this answers your question.

5. Blakeley Southern 14th July 2015 / 9:25 pm

You bring up a good point about flossing being so important for keeping teeth white. I find that it is important to also receive professional teeth whitening from time to time. That way you know that the procedure will not damage your teeth and you will get the results that you expect from the procedure. I had my teeth cleaned professionally about 3 months ago and have been very pleased with the results. Thanks for sharing!