An All natural Pre-Workout that will have you jumping out of bed in the morning!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhether you believe in them or believe they are a complete placebo, pre-workouts are always a hot topic of conversation. Occasionally I’ll opt for the super sweet powders offering all kinds of benefits to your workouts. But I’m just not organised enough to have endless shakers prepped for all the things I should be taking pre, during and post gym. And to be perfectly honest, I like to kick start my day as I mean to go on, with a whole lot of goodness.

My absolutely favourite pre-workout at the moment is something I concocted in the kitchen one morning. As a lover of a good cup of coffee, this is my usual tipple of choice. But with endless super-foods and powders adorning my kitchen cupboards I always try to mix things up a bit.

Maca powder, known for its profound benefits to overall women’s health, energy and stamina levels and it’s vast quantities of vitamins (B, C, E) and minerals (Calcium, Zinc, iron, magnesium, amino acids) made it the perfect choice to spoon into my morning mug. I love the smell of maca powder, Β it looks like hot chocolate powder but smells slightly nutty but in a completely unoffencive way.

I then plopped (such a great word) in a tea spoon of coconut oil because well, you all know how I feel about coconut oil (OK so you might not as you might be new to my ramblings so in which case read here). Now the taste of this totally clean pre-workout might not be for everyone but it literally has me bouncing off the walls and I feel energised for the entire day.

But why put both those into a mug of coffee? Black coffee causes fat cells to be used as energy during workouts whilst the high levels of caffeine will boost your metabolism 10 fold. But not only that it’s proven to increase peformance whilst also dulling pain receptors meaning you can go that extra mile, because lets face it, the struggle is real.

Taking maca powder regularly will soon show a vast improvement in over all energy levels so you can kiss goodbye to the post caffeine slump. Let’s kick those morning (or evening, or whenever you fancy it really) workout’s butts!

1. Lucy 8th April 2015 / 9:11 am

I love, love, love Maca powder, it’s so versatile – porridge, smoothies, raw chocolates and now this! Perhaps I’ll have to start thinking about drinking some coffee in the morning to get me to workout first thing rather than later in the day….

2. Tadana 8th April 2015 / 7:11 pm

I’ve just started morning workouts which are so amazing ! but it is a challenge to get out of bed in the morning and I think this is my savior can’t wait to try it out!, my future summer body and I thank you πŸ™‚

3. Oroma R. R. 9th April 2015 / 10:00 am

I don’t know about maca powder. I see results when I use it but the taste, no. I’m yet to find anything that can mask its flavour. I throw it in smoothies with fruit but I cringe because I can still taste it. There’s this Nigerian Pidgin English saying that goes “yanga dey pain”. English translation; nothing good comes easy. I guess I have to visualise the end result as motivation and get over how horrible it tastes.

/ O.R.R.

4. Briana 9th April 2015 / 9:20 pm

I would’ve never thought to combine these ingredients in coffee! I’m not an avid coffee drinker, but I may have to try this! Thanks for the tip!

5. Adele 10th April 2015 / 9:24 am

This post has been book marked! Ive been struggling with my morning work outs lately as I always feel too sluggish to move but will give this a shot!

6. Sylvie 12th April 2015 / 6:49 am

I swear by Maca powder – it’s absolutely amazing in porridge, smoothies, baking…. anything! It also tastes a little bit nutty doesn’t it? So yummy! Not tried it with coffee yet but sounds like a great shout.

x x x x

7. olivia 14th April 2015 / 9:52 pm

I was just complaining about how my pre-workout doesn’t really seem to give me the boost I need at 5 am when I am about to go in on a high intense workout. I am so excited to try out this Maca powder. Thanks for the tip πŸ™‚

– Liv

8. the gentleman 22nd April 2015 / 8:14 pm

Huge fan of dropping coconut oil into a good mug of coffee. Although people in the office still can’t quite understand why I do it! (Need to get out an office). Nice touch with the Maca powder though. Never actually heard of it before but as Mocha is my guilt pleasure I’ll give it a try! Where do you get it from?

9. Stefanie McKim 18th May 2015 / 2:25 pm

I love this post. I try so hard to get up to work out in the morning and I think this will defiantly help! Especially having something to excite you to wake up to. I’m going to try this tomorrow morning! πŸ™‚
    Thank you! Xoxo

10. Megan 25th February 2016 / 12:27 pm

I absolutely adore these mugs!!

My google search isn’t telling me much, where are these beauties from?